New stove identification!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GOINGALLOUT

Oct 4, 2014
Lewiston
Hi I'm new to this forum! I'm pretty excited to say I bought a little wood stove for my house! Not to use as primary heat but to supplement heat! I just have no clue where it's from and what model it is! So any info on it would be great! Front says mini bear!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 322
Moved to Fisher forum. The folks here should be able to help you out. Install it safely.

Knock off of the Fisher Baby Bear.
It would be interesting to see if they copied the door seal and firebrick lining inside.
There were many welding shops making copies of the Fisher Stove, but they had to make their own door since an authentic Fisher door was only cast at foundries for Fisher and supplied to fabricators by the patent holder himself. They all has Fisher or Fisher - Stove on the door. The box was relatively easy to copy. Local builders didn't ship far and stayed small trying to avoid patent right infringement lawsuits. No doubt this will only be found in your local area.
The 3 piece top welded in pieces instead of one large bent piece is an indication of a smaller shop without a brake large enough to bend the top. The very first Fisher's were made this way and was the easiest way to copy the design that worked so well. So the box is an early design and the 5 fin draft cap and newer loose wound spring were later developments that date it well after all tops were being bent from one piece. Spring looks like a modern replacement, so it could have had a solid ball, wood, or spring handle replaced.
What state was this found in?? There are Lewistons from Maine to Washington.
Any markings on the inside of door?
It was common for welders to date or mark stoves on the bottom with weld in case you haven't looked there.

I'm in Lewiston ID! Picked the stove up in WA STATE! There are no markings on the bottom but has a FJ on the inside of the door! I'll post a picture of it! Man thanks for all the info that's a lot of help! I think I got the stove and heat shield for a pretty good deal!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 240
Status
Not open for further replies.