New stove, Lakeside foundry Chicago, any info?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwabdu

Oct 14, 2017
South East Michigan
Anybody know anything about this stove? the person who sold it to me said it was her grandfathers and is likley 100 years old. She painted it to use as a plant stand :( trying to figure out how to either strip the paint off or just burn it off outside. Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_3277.JPG
    IMG_3277.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_3281.JPG
    IMG_3281.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 237
Anybody know anything about this stove? the person who sold it to me said it was her grandfathers and is likley 100 years old. She painted it to use as a plant stand :( trying to figure out how to either strip the paint off or just burn it off outside. Any advice?

If you're thinking of lighting a fire in that thing indoors, the clearances are going to be rediculous.

I'd either take it outside for an outdoor cooktop, or repaint it for a plant stand. :)

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
If you're thinking of lighting a fire in that thing indoors, the clearances are going to be rediculous.

I'd either take it outside for an outdoor cooktop, or repaint it for a plant stand. :)
.. what do you mean by 'clearances'? Going to use it in my garage / workshop this winter

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, I'm sure it's supposed to be 36 inches... Itll probably be closer to 25 inches from an unfinished wall. Maybe I'll put up a piece of sheet metal behind it. Was thinking that I'll just light a fire in it outside and let the paint burn off. Hopefully it doesn't ruin her....

Looks like a laundry stove used to heat water for the laundry. If you need to reduce clearances do it properly. The sheet of metal behind the stove will need to be on 1" non-combustible spacers and open at the top and bottom so that air can convect freely behind it.

Looks like a laundry stove used to heat water for the laundry. If you need to reduce clearances do it properly. The sheet of metal behind the stove will need to be on 1" non-combustible spacers and open at the top and bottom so that air can convect freely behind it.

Sounds good! Thanks a lot for the tips, didn't know that.