New stove pics and another question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie 08

Jan 3, 2008
Central Indiana
Here is a pic of the new buckstove up and running. The second picture is from the garage/breezeway (this isn't where we park our vehicles but the atv and lawnmower are parked there) The insert sets about 2 feet away from the doors you see here (they barely get warm to touch). This was oringionally a double sided fireplace that could be load from the garage (back in 68 when the place was built). I know you cannot have a wood stove installed in the garge but this is sort of a special circumstance. We have heard 1 person say it needed to be bricked shut and one say it didnt. We are debating what we should do. Benefits of leaving it as is include easy assess to the liner/back of stove etc if ever needed and not spending the money on the brick job. Benefits of bricking it off would likely include better visual appeal from this area, and most likely reduced heat or cool air lost depending on the season. Also maybe a safety hazard? So is this up to code as is? Also even if it is code and safe would you go ahead and brick it shut anyways or would you rather have the access to the liner/stove?

IMG00093.jpg

IMG00094.jpg

There are probably ways to seal it decently without bricking it up. For instance, a well fit piece of Durock cement board installed behind the doors (or in place of them) should do the job nicely. This can even be painted. You could also install some sheet metal angles around the inside so as to allow you to screw this piece in (and easily remove it also).

Would this help it from loosing heat into the garage area more then the doors do? I dont like the idea of loosing heat to the garage or loosing my cool when the ac is running.

I would brick it...really not that hard. Just get a 4 inch angle grinder to "keyhole" the bricks and have at her! If you wanted to get creatice you could probably put a register in the middle and use it as an acess hole when removed and it would suppliment heat in the breezeway. Just my two cents worth. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.