New stove smoke spillage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lillyrat

Hearth Supporter
Dec 23, 2007
Central Indiana
PE summit and 20' of 6" liner installed. Doing break in fires and am getting smoke spillage into the house when I open the door. I have the air set to high at all times and I open the door slowly, an inch or two every 15-20 seconds. I have good draft and wood is good. Outside temps are about 45 degrees. Stove seems to be drafting fine except when I open the door. Stove is burning great, just cant get the door open to add more wood. There is still a few small flames on one log but the rest of the load is coals. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I have a similar setup and if I have active flames, I will get a bit of smoke spillage also. I simply load in full cycles and only open the door when it's down to coals and do not have a problem.

pen

I guess I will have to be more patient. I was use to opening the door anytime with the old stove and no liner. I was concerned that this may happen with this stove and the way the exhaust leaves the stove through the front.

I also turned the draft all the way down with one chunk of wood going good and the flames are still lapping the top of the firebox after 5 minutes. Is this normal?

lillyrat said:
I also turned the draft all the way down with one chunk of wood going good and the flames are still lapping the top of the firebox after 5 minutes. Is this normal?

Flames lapping at the top sounds like sweet, sweet secondary combustion to me. I'd say you are doing okay.

Here's what a good fire looks like to me. Just made this this evening (PLEASE turn the volume down so you don't have to hear me breathing! There are many things I am good at, and I wouldn't consider video one of them, but I thought it was a good enough example to share regardless)

pen

What about your stove pipe, any long horizontal runs or 90 elbows?

pen said:
I have a similar setup and if I have active flames, I will get a bit of smoke spillage also. I simply load in full cycles and only open the door when it's down to coals and do not have a problem.

pen
I dont get it, from the pictures of your fires I think you have a better draft than I but I never get any smoke back into the room and never have, does that make any sense?

oldspark said:
pen said:

pen
I dont get it, from the pictures of your fires I think you have a better draft than I but I never get any smoke back into the room and never have, does that make any sense?

good fortune? Not sure why. W/out analytical measuring devices, it's tough to measure draft vs. draft or dry wood vs. dry wood, etc.

pen

Pipe goes out of the stove and up 2' then has about a 4' horizontal run through the thimble then 20' straight up.

That horizontal run is likely the culprit, especially if it is dead level. It should be pitched uphill towards the chimney at least 1/4" / ft. If you want to make it even better, use a pair of 45's with a diagonal connector instead of the 90 + horiz. pipe.

How much smoke are we talking here??

I have nearly the same set up, with the Summit, and 18' of vertical. Except, I have only about 20" of horizontal to the thimble.

Typically, before the fire is really raging, if I open the door, I get a few plumes of smoke coming out into the room. So far, it hasn't bothered me. I suspect, that I'll get more "room dust" as a result, and it's probably not great for my asthma, but I'm trying not to sweat it.

I have much more draft than needed. Still from time to time I get some smoke when opening the door. I have always thought that with a large firebox and a large door that its more prone to happen.

The horizontal run never gave me issues with the old stove (Dutchwest extra large catalytic) and no liner. Smoke exited the back of the box and it had a sideload door. I could open the door slowly and never get spillage with it. I should have a better draft with the 6" liner. I may have to call the installer and see if they can make some adjustments. Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.