New stove smoking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

awhitedev

Jul 25, 2015
Ohio
Hello all,

We recently had a Jotul F50 TL installed... and followed the burn-in procedure as per the manual. We measured the temperatures using the provided magnetic thermometer.. which was placed on the top load door in the top right.

We've lit 4 fires so far... each time we held the temperature at the desired temperature for about an hour. After each burn, we let the stove get back down to room temperature before lighting the next.

The first fire we got up to 200 degrees... the second up to 300... the third, 400.. and the last one was 450.

It's been smelling pretty bad with each burn... but the last one was the worst. I actually saw a small amount of smoke coming off the back of the stove.

Is this normal break-in period type stuff? When should I expect this to stop being an issue? Can anyone speak from experience?

Yep, it's normal. It will diminish before long but each time you hit a new record high temp you'll get a wiff again.

Enjoy that beautiful stove

Pretty normal stuff. You will also get to revisit that smell with each new peak temp you hit. Don't be alarmed but you might want to just go ahead and get that done. Run that thing up to the top end of the safe zone and be done with it.

Sounds like you've broken it in with care and you can go ahead and bring it up to full temp. Paint curing smell will be gone very soon.

Shoot for a 600 deg burn temp, yes they are designed to handle that kind of heat.

The paint needs to get hot enough to bake in. Open up some windows, put a fan blowing out in one and take the stove up to 550-600F for an hour or two like kenny said.

Just curious who told you to do these breakin fires? Did the manual say that was necessary? It's a steel firebox so I wouldn't think Jotul would require these break in fires. Doesn't hurt anything, I just can't see the need for it.

Yup, get the paint cured while you can open the windows! It won't be long before you're burning full time!

The manual says there are some cast iron components and specifies a break in procedure. The usual Jotul 200, 300 and 400 degree steps.

The manual says there are some cast iron components and specifies a break in procedure. The usual Jotul 200, 300 and 400 degree steps.
Interesting. These iron parts are gasketed rather than cemented like their other stoves. I guess they are just covering there butts, or didn't bother to change the manual.

Hearthstone for example, makes no mention of any break in fires for their cast iron line. All the parts are gasketed and bolted together.

Webby - I believe the break in fires are also used to cure the paint. This doesn't mean that all paint is created equal or needs it, but not uncommon.

Webby - I believe the break in fires are also used to cure the paint. This doesn't mean that all paint is created equal or needs it, but not uncommon.
All stoves that I'm aware of come with a card from Stove Bright or Crossroads that outline one fire to cure the paint.

Jotul seems to be sticking to these tedious break in fires while others are being less detailed about it. Even Hearthstone soapstone stoves are calling for 1 breakin fire, none on their cast stoves. I don't necessarily agree with it though. But with a steel stove I can't see the need for more than 1.

Just went over my manual for my high valley 1500 cat stove, there is no word of breaking in fires, I just fired her up tonight for the first time and loving it apart from the paint smell lol

All stoves that I'm aware of come with a card from Stove Bright or Crossroads that outline one fire to cure the paint.
The manual for the Quad Isle Royale never did have a break in procedure outlined. It only mentions the outgassing from the first fire. Maybe we are working off of old, outdated info?? Dunno. But truth be told, for the little additional effort and time, I personally still recommend the break-in fires. If nothing else it might help a new stove owner learn the controls right out of the gate without the threat of a runaway fire. Ya know, the whole walk before you run thing....
But as always, the manual is the final word.

Reactions: webby3650
Hello all,

We recently had a Jotul F50 TL installed... and followed the burn-in procedure as per the manual. We measured the temperatures using the provided magnetic thermometer.. which was placed on the top load door in the top right.

We've lit 4 fires so far... each time we held the temperature at the desired temperature for about an hour. After each burn, we let the stove get back down to room temperature before lighting the next.

The first fire we got up to 200 degrees... the second up to 300... the third, 400.. and the last one was 450.

It's been smelling pretty bad with each burn... but the last one was the worst. I actually saw a small amount of smoke coming off the back of the stove.

Is this normal break-in period type stuff? When should I expect this to stop being an issue? Can anyone speak from experience?

I am going through this exact same thing right now. I too have a new stove, and have had a few break in fires, along with maybe 1 or 2 "real" fires. The smell does not seem to be going away...

I'm going to build a rager tonight, though, as I've heard from you good people above that a hot fire (600 degrees F) can help bake in the paint and eliminate or reduce that smell.

I'll report back if THAT doesn't work.

My so call break in fire last night turned into a seven hour burn topping up at 1350 degrees. The entire house was filled with paint Smoke and smell, I plan on lighting it again when I get home to see if the paint is baked or not

Close the windows, stoke the fire and fill the house with your inlaws. Then split wood outside.

Let them enjoy your new heat source. :)

Of course, I'm being sarcastic. ...but I did this unintentionally and they all came out gagging. LOL

My so call break in fire last night turned into a seven hour burn topping up at 1350 degrees. The entire house was filled with paint Smoke and smell, I plan on lighting it again when I get home to see if the paint is baked or not

1350 degrees? Was that measured inside the stove? If so, what you want to concern yourself with generally is the stove top temperature.

1350 degrees? Was that measured inside the stove? If so, what you want to concern yourself with generally is the stove top temperature.

I certainly hope that was the cat temperature and not stove top.

Brought my infrared thermometer home to measure the stove top temp next time I light it

Status
Not open for further replies.