New stove what to do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Charly,
Elm I ve found to be as good as Beech, maybe even better for a stove, it is very dense and burns better on the stove rather than an open fire. The disease came to Scotland about 20 years ago, but didnt reach our part till about 10 years ago. There are hundreds, no, thousands of tonnes in our wood.

Problem solved!
All I did was extend my hearth 27cm out the front and swapped the Semi retired Black Bear out with the Jotul 301 and the result is excellant, we are very pleased, we have a stove that is fit to heat most of the house and also a hot plate to cook on. The 301 is now in semi retirement on the 3rd gable and only will get used during a winter power cut.
Oh, and still burning, weather here is cool and wet.
Sorry about the photo quality.

t0j5ms.jpg

looks great thanks for the picture

Thanks Dunragit. Firecracker, it varies a lot, but many homes in Europe are new, many were also built in the 20th century and many are between 100 to 150 years old, but not much older, in my part of Europe we have castles as old as 700 to 800 years old!

Thanks Dunragit. Firecracker, it varies a lot, but many homes in Europe are new, many were also built in the 20th century and many are between 100 to 150 years old, but not much older, in my part of Europe we have castles as old as 700 to 800 years old!

I love when the castles had enormous fireplaces that you could parallel park in. The downside of course is that the king would make slaves tend to his fire, but if I was a serf (in many ways I am a tax paying wage slave already), that would be the greatest job for me. I thought the Europeans burned up all their forests during the middle ages. I am a Scot by blood. I have red hair and fair skin...hence the handle Firecracker! Even wore a kilt as a halloween costume once! :)

Reactions: Angus
I love when the castles had enormous fireplaces that you could parallel park in. The downside of course is that the king would make slaves tend to his fire, but if I was a serf (in many ways I am a tax paying wage slave already), that would be the greatest job for me. I thought the Europeans burned up all their forests during the middle ages. I am a Scot by blood. I have red hair and fair skin...hence the handle Firecracker! Even wore a kilt as a halloween costume once! :)
I love you post Firecracker :)
I am also Reddish haired, they say Scotland has proportionally the most red heads in the world, I know we probably have the most alcoholics, so maybe the 2 are interlinked!?!
Much of Europe is still forrested, Germany, Scandinavia especially and parts of France. Scotland lost most of its forests during WW1, however, in the past 30 years we have gone up to 17% of the country being forrested. Ireland used to be rich in Oak, but I read somewhere that these Oaks were cut down in order to build the English navy. I admire the mentality of the Finns and Swedes and Germans, whenever they cut down forrests they make sure they are regenerated, and instead of wiping out huge forrests, they only cut down a percentage so that the wildlife will not be displaced.

I am also Reddish haired, they say Scotland has proportionally the most red heads in the world, I know we probably have the most alcoholics, so maybe the 2 are interlinked!?!
Much of Europe is still forrested, Germany, Scandinavia especially and parts of France. Scotland lost most of its forests during WW1, however, in the past 30 years we have gone up to 17% of the country being forrested. Ireland used to be rich in Oak, but I read somewhere that these Oaks were cut down in order to build the English navy. I admire the mentality of the Finns and Swedes and Germans, whenever they cut down forrests they make sure they are regenerated, and instead of wiping out huge forrests, they only cut down a percentage so that the wildlife will not be displaced.

I remember learning that...that during the middle ages there was a firewood shortage in Europe given the inefficient fireplaces in use and the exploding population. I knew that there were trees in Europe. Been there a few times. I've been in the German countryside and in and around Zurich Switzerland. Plenty of trees there.

I remember learning that...that during the middle ages there was a firewood shortage in Europe given the inefficient fireplaces in use and the exploding population. I knew that there were trees in Europe. Been there a few times. I've been in the German countryside and in and around Zurich Switzerland. Plenty of trees there.

I've been to London once but never to Scotland. Would love to change that someday. I think that's why I'm drawn to woodburning weather. I like it cooler and damp. Not such a fan of warm places. Wife and I went to Madrid in April 2006 and Hong Kong in October 2007. While those areas are interesting and nice, I can't ever love it being in warm climates. Switzerland in April 2005 was awesome. Cool and crisp clean air. Beautiful landscape and scenery. I used to travel alot with a company. I did not pay to see the world. I don't have that kind of money.

I live in the province of Ontario, Canada, which is one of the larger Canadian provinces. PLENTY of forest area here, quite a few moose. But the Swede's do it better. From what I hear, they do not clear cut (like we in Canada do) so much, but farm out their forests to family enterprises. They will cut the standing dead and that what needs to be cleared out to provide optimum growth. The result? Very healthy non-monoculture forests. To make my point, the annual cull rate of moose in Sweden exceeds the entire moose population of Ontario, even though Sweden is less than half the size of Ontario.

When they run out of moose they can come here and start culling deer.

I live in the province of Ontario, Canada, which is one of the larger Canadian provinces. PLENTY of forest area here, quite a few moose. But the Swede's do it better. From what I hear, they do not clear cut (like we in Canada do) so much, but farm out their forests to family enterprises. They will cut the standing dead and that what needs to be cleared out to provide optimum growth. The result? Very healthy non-monoculture forests. To make my point, the annual cull rate of moose in Sweden exceeds the entire moose population of Ontario, even though Sweden is less than half the size of Ontario.
Hi Realstone, yes you are right, I was in Finland and Sweden, and they only cut down a small percentage, and use forests like a farm, and allow regeneration, Finland especially is one huge forest, when I flew into Helsinki, then onto Oulu from there, all I could see was forests as far as the eye could see. I did not realise Ontario was twice the size of Sweden and more, it is huge!

Status
Not open for further replies.