New stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Autorotate

Apr 16, 2014
Phila
Hello all,

I have read endless articles on here, but this is my first time posting.

I am getting a wood pellet stove this summer, but I do not have the make or model (know this an issue off the bat). Someone is getting rid of one and I am taking it on.

My dilemma is, I have a completely demo'd house. I am having the drywall put in within the next couple weeks (drywall over existing drywall). Can I use 48x48 section of 1/2 inch cement board where my stove is going to be (over the existing drywall without doing a 1 inch gap)? I don't want to have to re-demo once the stove comes in. I am just worried about the walls for now. I am framing out for the floor. This is going into a corner.

Any help for what I can do now before the drywall guys come in would be appreciated. Thanks!

You don't need cement board to install a pellet stove so long as you follow the manufacturers min clearance to walls (typically drywall). If you want a tighter install you would need to consult local code to make sure your install passes. But with a corner install minimizing stove clearance to walls is a fools errand when it comes time to service the stove.

Edit, but you can use cement board.

Free standing stoves can be easily installed just about anywhere. The only modification to the structure would be cutting a hole for the vent. My stove sits in a corner on a pre-made hearth pad with 3" of clearance to the wall. No extra wall protection was required. My hearth pad sits directly on the carpet.

Welcome to the forum :) As stated no need for cement board with a pellet stove but two layers of drywall will make cutting the hole for the venting a little more difficult. Try to mark out where your studding is now (measure or marks on floor) so you have reference when you go to do the install.

Welcome to the forum :) As stated no need for cement board with a pellet stove but two layers of drywall will make cutting the hole for the venting a little more difficult. Try to mark out where your studding is now (measure or marks on floor) so you have reference when you go to do the install.

Thank you all for the answers. Their was an existing "old school" word burning stove so the vent pipe is already there. I will just have to get a reducer since it is a 6 inch pipe.

Depending on the stove you get, and the manufacturers requirements, you may have to use 3" or 4" PL(pellet) venting from the stove all the way to termination. Most pellet stoves require this (I know Nu-tech does not). You should check the owners manual before running the venting. You also may want to check with local building codes as well.
Your question was already answered above. No clearance reductions are required like in woodstoves (NFPA 12.6.2.1), as the clearances on pellets stoves are small to begin with. As John said above, in most cases any closer makes it harder to service and clean.

Just out of curiosity and possible ignorance, why are you putting drywall over drywall? Doesn't that make all the electrical accesses more of a PITA? Extending them outward, I mean.

No ignorance at all. I took majority of the other rooms down to studs. The room where the stove is didn't need to be ripped down to the studs so I just figured I'd go over it.

No ignorance at all. I took majority of the other rooms down to studs. The room where the stove is didn't need to be ripped down to the studs so I just figured I'd go over it.
Cool! Like your 'name'. Huey's in your past, by any chance??? :)

Reactions: Owen1508
Status
Not open for further replies.