New Summitt chimney set-up/draft considerations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HotDogMan

Mar 17, 2011
West Michigan
So, I'm getting prepared mentally to begin the install of my new Summitt. I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way, but my first is with regard to my chimney set-up. I have a 2 story Victorian that will necessitate a 30' chimney, 6-10' of double wall pipe and 20-25' of Class A stainless. Originally, I had planned to go straight up but my dealer is concerned a 30' chimney would make it difficult to keep from over-firing the stove and could even result in a "runaway" if I were to load it up and leave it. If I were to run the stove pipe at a 22.5 or 45 over to the corner of the room, then run the chimney straight up and out another 25 or so feet, would that help or have the opposite effect? I would actually prefer this so I don't have a chase in the middle of the room above the stove. Thanks.

Adding a couple 90's to the run would slow the flue gases down, but it will make it a bit harder do clean. Did you discuss adding a key damper to the connector pipe instead?

Straight pipes are easy to clean... I'd probably go with a damper.

Keep it straight and inside the frame of the house , and ditto all the above recommendations. IMHO I would not worry about over drafting as long as the stove is maintained -- ie, door fit and ash chute do not leak. You could always add the damper.

-- You would be a rare PE user if you would have issues of overdrafting.

It can happen. I would definitely be installing the damper.

Thanks for all the replies. Everything will be inside the frame of the house, regardless of whether or not I offset the stove pipe. I'm not too concerned about cleaning, as I would just remove the stove pipe and it would be a straight shot from there. BG, would 2 45's and a damper be effective at slowing it down enough or should I go with 90's? Does it matter where I put the bends? Meaning would I put them right at the stove and the support box or should I run a short straight piece off from each before I turn? Thanks again.

I think you will be much happier with the straight pipe, no need to put elbows in to slow down the draft, the damper is the correct way to control it if needed. What you want to do with the elbows is a shot in the dark for a problem that you may not even have.

I couldn't agree more. Always go straight if at all possible. Dampers are easy to install. Sounds like that dealer is not too knowledgeable.

Agreed, unless the other location is much more desirable, go straight with a damper.

The other location is more desirable. So, unless it would have a significant negative effect, I will probably elect to go with the elbows. What's optimal placement of the elbows? I have a 9' ceiling.

What is the offset from the stove flue outlet to the class A support box?

I would come up off the stove with a short length of pipe, then the damper, then 45 + straight connector + 45 to the support box. Here is the offset chart for DuraVent DVL pipe.

Attachments

• DVL offset.jpg
    DVL offset.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 149
Status
Not open for further replies.