New through the wall chimney install and building a chimney chase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wagvan

Hearth Supporter
Jun 16, 2008
Michigan
We are planning on building a new hearth area to install our redone Hearthstone H2 for next years season. The current location we inherited and is bad for so many reasons. It is in a small dining room, it is in the walking path, the hearthpad sticks out for toe stubbing, its in a corner with no wall protection and not enough clearance, and the chimney goes right in the middle of an upstairs walkway. We have noodled on a new place even going to the extreme of considering putting it in our master bedroom upstairs or the other option is going woodstove free <gasp>. Anyhoo, the best option seems to be to brick in a redundant door (directly across from the front door) and sending the pipe through the wall and the chimney up the outside of the house. Fro my reading, I know that is generally less desirable as the chimney will be cold and wont draw as well. But it really seems to be the best option for what we are working with.

Some other info: This is an 1880 double brick house (meaning, exterior brick wall, then 4" airspace, then interior brick wall with plaster directly on the brick) and the room it is going in is one that we have gutted and are working on. (There were 2 drop ceilings and paneling in here before...thank you, 1970s!) The exterior wall is all masonry, but the interior wall has wood cribbing in with the brick as nailers for woodwork, etc. We are in SE Michigan near the Ohio border, so it does get fairly cold here. Where the chimney would go on the exterior is actually an interior corner and would have 2 sets of wood eaves to negotiate. We have the original metalbestos chimney that went up through the story and a half area of the house. The corner is where the side of the story and a half and the side of the two and a half story section. (So effectively one story and 2 story as these are the eaves sides and not the gable sides)

I know we are going to have to buy the through the wall thimble, the base T, strapping and possibly more height of pipe to get the chimney up (The current chimney comes out near the peak of the 1 1/2 story section). We have considered building an insulated chase to mitigate the chimney running outside the house, but we can't seem to find any plans or best methods or materials for that. Any links? Ideas? We are building from scratch, so open to whatever, although like most people we are working on a budget. So cheaper is better, although there is something to be said for doing things right, too.

Any thoughts on blocking in the door opening? We will actually run the thimble through the right side of the door because of the location of where the stove needs to go. I was considered bricking in the opening, but I am seriously considering a wood access door and a mini woodshed idea like in the wood forum, but I'm not sure how realistic/safe/practical that is? Outside this doorway is our deck (There is another, kitchen door that goes out to the deck...) so I would like it to look nice from the outside. Unfortunately modern brick is not made in our handmade antique brick size. Its just a little off. Its not going to match perfectly no matter what we do, although the brick is painted, so that is not such an issue.

We are planning to build the plywood, cement board, tile base. We are considering what to do for the wall. We have a bunch of roofing slate we considered cutting up to tile or my hubby and I really like the fake fieldstone wall look. We are planning on doing a full height wall with 1" spacers and airspace top and bottom to breath. Do you think the plywood/cementboard/airspae wall will hold up the manufactured stone? Could we do real stone? Hubby's grandma lives on the rocky side of Little Traverse Bay so we can get some nice stones...

Thoughts? Ideas? Constructive criticism? Links?

Thanks!
Katie

Status
Not open for further replies.