New Tires - Or Why one really should clear slash out of the road...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zzr7ky

Minister of Fire
Jun 12, 2006
Hi -

Over the years folks on the board here have encouraged me to get appropriate safety gear, clear slash away from the tree base and a long way down the escape route and I'm sure it's saved me a good deal of grief.

So Saturday I was dropping a couple of Ash trees. They had already been topped and almost all the branches had been cleared from the site. So I dropped the 18" and 24" trunks and buck them to 16". I rolled them to make a path for the truck so I could load them. When I pulled up I heard/felt a massive tire failure. A small Y shaped branch with a sharp end had cut the sidewall on both my passenger side tires!!

I'll be adding a stiff rake to the tool complement in the future. I think I got used to ignoring a lot of the smaller brush working in a swampy area last Spring. I needed a set of tires, and the adventure didn't upset any plans for the day so I'm counting it as a blessing/learning oportunity.

All the best,
Mike

Thanks for sharing. I know I'll be a little more careful now! I think about it more though when I'm on my Rhino going through areas with a lot of brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.