New To Forum - Jotul F 602 - Hearth & Wall Shield Project Begins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I can say with regards to the F118 is the newer EPA models have had some issues recently, some of the chatter here is mostly in a negative tone. You might want to do a lot more research before taking the plunge.

We had Jotuls for years and still have our 602, now in the greenhouse. Before that it was an original VC Resolute I. I can appreciate your liking these stoves. They are classics. But Jotuls and Morsos are not the only kids on the block. For us, the Alderlea has proven to be an easier to run and more flexible heater with greater mass that translates to a more comfortable house in the morning when we wake up. Boxwood design stoves are cool, but I see nothing in this setup that makes this design stove compulsory. You and your wife need to decide whether you strictly want a specific look or whether you want a great heating experience with a new look and perhaps a new brand and design stove. I'm still opting for a Woodstock Keystone there. But a Quadrafire Cumberland Gap, Hearthstone Shelburne or a Hampton H300 would also be very nice fits along with an Alderlea T4 or T5.

My Oslo heats my home, thanks for the heads up on the 118 chatter. Searched it out. Looks like you're probably referring to the cracking issues.

BeGreen, I know what you mean about looking at the big picture. There is a lot to consider here. We like the classic designs. No doubt about it. We love cast iron. I've taken my wife to many dealers show rooms and had her looking online too. I had suggested soap stone stoves early on but not appealing to my wife. I kind of liked them. We explored pellet vs wood. I love to cut, split and stack wood for exercise, and stacking bags of pellets didn't give me the same excitement to go "work out". Last year I cut and split three trees to stock up on the wood in anticipation of getting a stove this year.

Anyway, I think we're ultimately going to be stuck with a Jotul. Whether this is Jotul stars in our eyes or what, I'm not sure. Maybe it's the fact that I was born and raised in Europe that tilts me the way I lean. Not sure.

I appreciate all the great tips and advice. Whatever the outcome, I'll keep posting my project to completion.

Your situation where you are not looking to turn your house into a sauna sounds like you are looking for a more regulated heat output. That's where soapstone comes in. You warm up the rock and enjoy the radiance from it for hours.

Honestly, I'd try out the 602 and if you don't like it, worry about it then. You already have the stove and it's a beautiful little thing - enjoy it. From the temps you keep in your house, the size of the house, and the area you are in, I'd be willing to bet you'll be fine with the 602. You won't have heat pouring off it in the morning, but if your house drops less than 15 degrees overnight with no heat (as you stated earlier talking about your furnace), I don't think you'll have a problem waking up to a cold house. Also, I've heard good reports about even though there wasn't much heat coming off the stove in the morning, the 602 should have coals you can rake up to put new logs on and start a fire without much hassle come morning time.

You have the stove, makes sense to give it a go and see how you like it. I would even suggest making the hearth on the smaller side so as to match the 602. Odds are you wouldn't want the hearth big enough so it'd fit a larger stove because it would look silly with the 602. Just make it so that you can add on to it later. IE - do it in brick etc.

mhrischuk, you have a good point about regulated output. Initially, I pointed out the soap stone stoves to my wife. She didn't care for the ones in our local shop. I've seen some really nice looking soapstone stoves. But marriage is compromise.

joecool85, you're probably right about just trying out the 602. I was saying the same thing to my wife this morning. A good stove holds value, so if we find that more heat output is needed or longer burn times, then we can sell this one and get something bigger, etc. I do like the 118 Blackbear though. LOL

WoodNStuff said:
Thanks BeGreen for the fantastic link to some cast iron grilles. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Now I only need to find a place that offers them with a more similar design to the Jotul F 602. They do seem on the pricey side, though. A 2"x10" cost $29. If I only need one that wouldn't be a big deal. I'm going to need at least 6, possibly 10. The cost racks up quick.

Point well taken, summit. I'm not sure whether I'll want a bigger stove given the size of my space (living and dining width is 24' and the depth is 15', with a 10'x10' L off of one end) totaling about 460 square feet. This all at the front of the house. The hallway to the rest of the rooms centers on the the 24' dimension. Though, if this Jotul F 602 provides less heat than anticipated, I could see myself giving a bigger stove a try.

Summit, do you have suggestions for how much bigger? The manual for my stove lists the smallest acceptable hearth to be 28.5"x45.5". I was planning on going with 36"x53". This dimension allows the hearth in front of the stove to be 20" long, instead of the required 18".

Thanks to all for the great suggestions and complements.

How do you like your F118? Thanx Jeff

BeGreen said:
Do you want heat just for this area or also for the area up the hallway? As noted, the 602 is a fine little space heater. It will handle this job fine, but not 24/7 unless you are always home and an insomniac.
For 24/7 heat I would size the hearth for the Woodstock stoves. I wish I had 10yrs ago. We have the Lopi Endeaver in a 24x24 room. We like the stove but a friends Woodstock burns much longer and heat is more even temp. We have the money to make the move now but I hate to tear out hardwood floor and the existing hearth. Our gas bill for Nov. & Dec. 2011 totaled $63. That is for the dryer, forced air furnace (to see that it still worked) and water heater. Plans look good. Dont get in a hurry.
Tom

joecool85 said:
Also, I've heard good reports about even though there wasn't much heat coming off the stove in the morning, the 602 should have coals you can rake up to put new logs on and start a fire without much hassle come morning time.

Forget about having hot coals in the AM with the 602, at least coals that are usable. Unless you're sleeping 4 hours a night, you'll be doing a cold start in the morning. Stock up on your kindling ;)

neumsky said:
WoodNStuff said:
Thanks BeGreen for the fantastic link to some cast iron grilles. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Now I only need to find a place that offers them with a more similar design to the Jotul F 602. They do seem on the pricey side, though. A 2"x10" cost $29. If I only need one that wouldn't be a big deal. I'm going to need at least 6, possibly 10. The cost racks up quick.

Point well taken, summit. I'm not sure whether I'll want a bigger stove given the size of my space (living and dining width is 24' and the depth is 15', with a 10'x10' L off of one end) totaling about 460 square feet. This all at the front of the house. The hallway to the rest of the rooms centers on the the 24' dimension. Though, if this Jotul F 602 provides less heat than anticipated, I could see myself giving a bigger stove a try.

Summit, do you have suggestions for how much bigger? The manual for my stove lists the smallest acceptable hearth to be 28.5"x45.5". I was planning on going with 36"x53". This dimension allows the hearth in front of the stove to be 20" long, instead of the required 18".

Thanks to all for the great suggestions and complements.

How do you like your F118? Thanx Jeff

I like it, though I must say that I haven't fired it up yet. LOL. My stove installation was delayed due to waiting on special order supplies for my hearth and heat shield. The parts arrived recently, so I'm working on the install. I'll post pictures, etc. as progress is made.

Status
Not open for further replies.