New to Forum with questions. Jotul 274 or Morso 8140

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngusMac

Jul 28, 2010
Scotland
Hello, I would like to introduce myself, I am Angus and come from Scotland.

Our family home is currently heated with 2x F118 Jotuls.
We are very pleased with these stoves especially as they heat the home 24/7.
I have always been biased to Jotul, and on holiday to Norway recently we visited the Jotul factory in Fredrickstad (I can post photos if anyone is interested)

However we are going to sell one as it is far too hot for the living room, the other one heats all the rest of the house and works like a dream.

So we have narrowed it down to 2 stoves, the Jotul 274 and the Morso 8140.

I am currently leaning to the Jotul because I know it will relight the next day without rekindling.
Does anyone have a Morso 8140 and could tell me more about it.
Does anyone have an opinion on the 2 stoves?

I don't have either but do have a Morso and am very pleased with the quality of the stove.

Good luck with your decision.

wendell said:
I don't have either but do have a Morso and am very pleased with the quality of the stove.

Good luck with your decision.
Thanks Wendell.

Greetings and welcome Angus. We don't see many of the contemporary models over here, especially for Jotul. You may need to be our reporter across the pond!

Both are excellent stove companies. Let us know what you find out and decide on. And yes, we'd love to see the shots of the Jotul factory. That would be a treat. Thanks for offering.

BeGreen said:
Greetings and welcome Angus. We don't see many of the contemporary models over here, especially for Jotul. You may need to be our reporter across the pond!

Both are excellent stove companies. Let us know what you find out and decide on. And yes, we'd love to see the shots of the Jotul factory. That would be a treat. Thanks for offering.
Thanks BeGreen, I will ofcourse keep you up to date with what I find.
I m currently working on a ship off the coast of Norway, but will get back to Scotland soon, and will start a new topic with the photos from the Jotul factory at Fredrickstad.
They were very friendly and showed us the showroom and new models, even tho the factory and offices were closing down for their summer holidays. I was very impressed.

Now that it looks like I'm adding a Jotul to my stable, I think you should get the Morso. That way we can both have one of each! :)

wendell said:
Now that it looks like I'm adding a Jotul to my stable, I think you should get the Morso. That way we can both have one of each! :)
What Jotul are you thinking of buying Wendell?

I personally have no experience with either of these stoves or their manufacturers, so I'll only comment on what I perceive, based on viewing the two models you spoke of, from a Google Search.............

How long do you keep fires going? How long would you LIKE to keep your fires burning? How much do you like toting wood?

These stoves seem (certainly contemporary in design) small. On one side of the discussion, if you have a small living space, or multiples of these stoves, then I guess they would be fine. If, on the other hand, you have a fairly large dwelling space, (say, over 2,000 sq. ft.) I'd consider a bigger stove in your primary living area, and perhaps a smaller one (such as either one of these), for the more remote areas of your home where you may experience cold spots. The routing of the pipes is an issue to take into account as well. Reducing the number of bends in your flue is valuable.

From one Scottish-blooded Lad, to another..........

-Soupy1957

Oslo/F500 Not sure if they use the same name across the pond. ;-)

wendell said:
Oslo/F500 Not sure if they use the same name across the pond. ;-)
Hi Wendell, they call it the F500 in Europe.

soupy1957 said:
I personally have no experience with either of these stoves or their manufacturers, so I'll only comment on what I perceive, based on viewing the two models you spoke of, from a Google Search.............

How long do you keep fires going? How long would you LIKE to keep your fires burning? How much do you like toting wood?

These stoves seem (certainly contemporary in design) small. On one side of the discussion, if you have a small living space, or multiples of these stoves, then I guess they would be fine. If, on the other hand, you have a fairly large dwelling space, (say, over 2,000 sq. ft.) I'd consider a bigger stove in your primary living area, and perhaps a smaller one (such as either one of these), for the more remote areas of your home where you may experience cold spots. The routing of the pipes is an issue to take into account as well. Reducing the number of bends in your flue is valuable.

From one Scottish-blooded Lad, to another..........

-Soupy1957
Hello Soupy, nice to meet you.
We keep the stoves burning 24/7 from around October to April.
Our Jotul 118 heats nearly all the home except for the living room which is far away from it, it is currently heated with a second Jotul 118, but it is too powerful for the room.
We have the flue pipe going straight up and there is a lot of wind where we live (costal climate) so that is fine for any stove, but we like the design of the Scandinavian clean burning stoves and have narrowed it to a new Jotul or the Morso or possibly a Dovre as an outsider.

Here are the 2 we have narrowed it down to;
Jotul 274
wt84ys.jpg

Morso 8140
52jl15.jpg

Valhalla said:
Ah, the sleek modern design!

Thats the way its going in Europe Valhalla.
We do have a lot of the same stoves as the American market, but the trend seems to be changing to tall slim, clean burn stoves., some of which cost a fortune, double what we would pay for a Jotul f500 or f118 !!Clean burn seems to be a Euro obsession!

I like the Jotul better, it has firewood storage and looks higher up so you don't have to bend over or squat down to load like you would have to do with the Morso.

Todd said:
I like the Jotul better, it has firewood storage and looks higher up so you don't have to bend over or squat down to load like you would have to do with the Morso.
Hi Todd,
yeah the Morso is only 34 1/4" tall.
The cost is just a little bit more than the Jotul which is 41 3/4".
There is a taller version of the Morso 8140, its a beauty, called the Morso 8142 at 40 1/2", but it costs about $700 more than the 8140.
I cant justlfy that much extra cost for an extra 6 1/3" in height
2reionc.jpg

AngusMac said:
Valhalla said:
Ah, the sleek modern design!

Thats the way its going in Europe Valhalla.
We do have a lot of the same stoves as the American market, but the trend seems to be changing to tall slim, clean burn stoves., some of which cost a fortune, double what we would pay for a Jotul f500 or f118 !!Clean burn seems to be a Euro obsession!

Hello Angus,

Nice choice! I shopped Morso before my new Oslo 500 won the competition. I do still like the look of Morso, see: http://morsousa.com/
In the USA, all stoves have been clean burn for many years, called EPA stoves for being tested by the US Environmental Protection Agency and also
built to an improved clean air standard, above that of the air tight "smoke dragons" of the past.

Post some final install photos when you can. Love to see and hear about it.

Thanks!

Thanks Valhalla,
we are going to the stove shop on tuesday to look.
We will probably have a think for a few weeks and make our desiscion, before making the order.
But I will let you know what we get, and ofcourse install photos.

Incidentally, I have a Jotul 602 in situ just now, but it will go into our garden cabin.

We have a high top on it, has any of you guys seen a 602 High Top?

You know we like pictures here. Take a shot and post it before the 602 gets moved.

AngusMac said:
Thanks Valhalla,
we are going to the stove shop on tuesday to look.
We will probably have a think for a few weeks and make our desiscion, before making the order.
But I will let you know what we get, and ofcourse install photos.

Incidentally, I have a Jotul 602 in situ just now, but it will go into our garden cabin.

We have a high top on it, has any of you guys seen a 602 High Top?

Angus,
I really like the 602 CB. Great for a small space. High Top?
Post the photo from the stove shop when you can. Good luck on your selection, as winter is coming.

Hello Valhalla,
We went to visit the stove shop and we have narrowed our choice of stoves to 2, the Jotul 250 and the Morso 8140.
The Jotul 274 handle operation didnt seem to smart. The Morso is double skinned, so I presume its a true convector, whereas the 250 is single skinned cast, its a tough one though, still undecided.
Here are the pictures of the high top on the Jotul 602, below.
As you see from the photo, we have the fire on at the end of August, typical Scottish weather (0 deg C winters and 8+ deg C summers (I get skin burnt after 12 deg c and find it too hot to work!))
xd5mq0.jpg

14cso47.jpg

AngusMac said:
Hello Valhalla,
We went to visit the stove shop and we have narrowed our choice of stoves to 2, the Jotul 250 and the Morso 8140.
The Jotul 274 handle operation didnt seem to smart. The Morso is double skinned, so I presume its a true convector, whereas the 250 is single skinned cast, its a tough one though, still undecided.
Here are the pictures of the high top on the Jotul 602, below.
As you see from the photo, we have the fire on at the end of August, typical Scottish weather (0 deg C winters and 8+ deg C summers (I get skin burnt after 12 deg c and find it too hot to work!))
xd5mq0.jpg

14cso47.jpg

For some reason in my slightly warped mind it almost looks as though the wood standing on end are lined up and ready for their inevitable fate . . . looks almost as if they're worshipping at the altar of the Jotul . . . and resigned to the fate that lies before them. ;)

Hahaha ... your right Firefighter, they worship the Jotul who is about to sacrifice them in the name of heat.
Come to think of it, I worship Jotuls also.
The Morso I m thinking of getting looks like an excellant stove, but I m a big fan of Jotuls.
What to do? Hmmm?

Ah, that is the top hat I was visualizing. I've seen it on the shelf, but not on the stove. Can you bake in it?

That looks like an F602N, newer than my model by a decade or more.

Get the Morso. Even I think the 250 looks a little goofy. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.