new to me Hearthstone Sterling 8532

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

turbotom1052

Jan 14, 2015
vermont
Hello all...Spent a bit of time here a few years back, when I needed help with a a wood stove install in my old house, and got some great advise that resulted in a perfectly working install of A Hearthstone Heritage wood burner. So here I am, returning for some input from the gas burner side of the forum.
Purchased late last year an older but very clean Hearthstone Sterling model 8532 that had already been converted to LPG. My plan was to use this to offer heat during the overnight, when the wood stove was starting to Peter out, and also to heat the house during shoulder seasons. The Sterling was dusty and had not been in service for a number of years, so I figured a good cleaning and rebuild was in order. I disassembled the stove and blew it all out. I purchased some proper gasket material and made up my own set of replacement gaskets for the entire stove. I was fully expecting to have to at the very least replace the valve and pilot assembly but to my surprise the stove fired right up while testing it on the bench of my garage running off of a 30lb BBQ tank. I took the stove in the house so as to determine placement and heating abilities, running it for a couple of hours in the house with only a top exit 2 foot section of DV stovepipe. To my joy the stove burned with a very pretty flame, and gave off plenty of heat generating 250F temps on the stovetops center stone panel. Some adjustment to the pilot screw was needed along with adjustment to the air shutters for me to arrive at a nice looking flame. Not certain if its burning a bit rich and if I made correct air shutter adjustments. I do realize that I may have to re set these air shutters once I get it vented properly but am curious to know it it looks good for now. a pic is attached to show it burn on a high setting. Would also like to know if there is a generic type of thermostatic control unit I can purchase instead of having to buy a high priced OEM unit??? Thanks in advance for any help offered.
sterling pic1.jpg

Hello all...Spent a bit of time here a few years back, when I needed help with a a wood stove install in my old house, and got some great advise that resulted in a perfectly working install of A Hearthstone Heritage wood burner. So here I am, returning for some input from the gas burner side of the forum.
Purchased late last year an older but very clean Hearthstone Sterling model 8532 that had already been converted to LPG. My plan was to use this to offer heat during the overnight, when the wood stove was starting to Peter out, and also to heat the house during shoulder seasons. The Sterling was dusty and had not been in service for a number of years, so I figured a good cleaning and rebuild was in order. I disassembled the stove and blew it all out. I purchased some proper gasket material and made up my own set of replacement gaskets for the entire stove. I was fully expecting to have to at the very least replace the valve and pilot assembly but to my surprise the stove fired right up while testing it on the bench of my garage running off of a 30lb BBQ tank. I took the stove in the house so as to determine placement and heating abilities, running it for a couple of hours in the house with only a top exit 2 foot section of DV stovepipe. To my joy the stove burned with a very pretty flame, and gave off plenty of heat generating 250F temps on the stovetops center stone panel. Some adjustment to the pilot screw was needed along with adjustment to the air shutters for me to arrive at a nice looking flame. Not certain if its burning a bit rich and if I made correct air shutter adjustments. I do realize that I may have to re set these air shutters once I get it vented properly but am curious to know it it looks good for now. a pic is attached to show it burn on a high setting. Would also like to know if there is a generic type of thermostatic control unit I can purchase instead of having to buy a high priced OEM unit??? Thanks in advance for any help offered.View attachment 295165
You can use any millivolt thermostat as a control. You will probably limited to about 20-25’ of 18 ga wire if you’re gonna wall mount it.

I have the same stove in the blue black enamel color from Hearthstone. Your brown porcelain brown granite looks gorgeous.
Vent it properly, then adjust if necessary the air shutter underneath. Skytech makes a bunch or MV thermostats among other makers as well, easy to set up. Did yours have the blower with it? The blower for this unit is rare and very very expensive, about twice what most blower kits cost. I'm still looking for a used one... Keep warm with the HT sterling, very nice stove.

Mine did come with the blower that works fine, but a bit louder than I really like when turned up anything above half way. Thank you for the encouraging words.