New to older gas fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Army1rob

Nov 18, 2018
Riverton Ut
I just bought a home and it has an older manual gas fireplace. I figured out how to open the flume but there is another handle that I have no idea what it does. Can anyone help me please? I attached a photo.

Attachments

• E8DD1174-64F0-42CF-82A3-A8A7311DAE9D.jpeg
    E8DD1174-64F0-42CF-82A3-A8A7311DAE9D.jpeg
    210.9 KB · Views: 179
If I'm recalling correctly, that lever has two functions:

1. It opens and closes a damper of the top of the fireplace

2. When the damper is closed, a switch prevents the fireplace burner from turning on.

The idea with #1 is to prevent the loss of heated room air up the chimney when the fire is off and #2 is to prevent the fireplace combustion gasses from coming out into the dwelling space by allowing the burner to operate when the damper is closed.

You can confirm this by turning the fireplace on with the wall switch. Then try turning the lever one way and the other. If the burner turns off, the damper is closed in that position. Turn the lever the other way and the damper opens and the burner turns on.

You don't want to use the lever to turn the fireplace burner on and off, though. Use the wall switch for that. But you can close the damper to reduce the room heat that otherwise would go up the vent pipe.

Last edited:
There's a rating plate just above that handle, which is probably for combustion air.
Can you tell us what's on that rating plate?
Manufacturer & model of the unit is all we need.

Reactions: k0wtz