New to pellet stoves, couple questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think SBI makes a large pellet stove that has two hot air ducts that will deliver heat upstairs to two locations as well as providing heat downstairs. I believe the SBI unit is a bottom feed similar to Harman. These SBI units sell very well in Canada

The Drolet Eco-65 (an SBI product) does have the option of hot air ducts, but it is $700.00 more than the Eco-45. But it is a non issue if the installation will be in the main living area! The Eco-45 should be able to heat that area with the bedrooms nicely!

Depending where are you located, by code it has to be metal. I just looked it up! Well in Ontario anyway!
This is one spot where code makes no difference at all. COMMON SENSE says to use metallic so you don't burn your house down if there's a power outage and you get a back draft out the OAK.

I tried to use mine in my basement last yr, 1800 sf ranch with a walk out 10 ft ceiling in the basement unfinished englander 25pdv ran it for about 1 week and it would not heat upstairs the floors on the main lvl got warm that's it.....A friend of mine put one in his basement built a small rm 10x10 ran a squirrel fan and duct work to his main line and he keeps his house around 72.... i just moved mine upstairs

This is one spot where code makes no difference at all. COMMON SENSE says to use metallic so you don't burn your house down if there's a power outage and you get a back draft out the OAK.

I just purchased the Quadra- Fire 1200 CB insert that I got installed on the first floor off my foyer, where the staircase is located. My home is a 2 story colonial with the kitchen, dining room, living room (where the insert is located) and a 300 sqft. addition in the rear of the home, but it has a storm door that I keep closed during the heating season. The 2nd FL has 4 bedrooms, BA and 2 linen closets off the 2nd FL hallway.

I would like to try and get heat upstairs. Any suggestions? I was thinking of cutting 1 or 2 vent sized holes in the ceiling where the insert is located. Would this work? I ran it over the weekend on high for about and felt the heat half down the hallway upstairs but then stopped. The master is located at the end of the upstairs hallway.

Suggestions and knowledge is welcomed by all. Thanks

I'm sure you'll get suggestions from those who have tried to move the heat around. The main focus is to move the COLD air toward the stove and not what you would think (hot toward the cold spaces).
What you have to realize is that these are 'space heaters', not HVAC systems. If you have a very open floor plan, there's a chance you can heat it fairly easily.

I'm sure you'll get suggestions from those who have tried to move the heat around. The main focus is to move the COLD air toward the stove and not what you would think (hot toward the cold spaces).
What you have to realize is that these are 'space heaters', not HVAC systems. If you have a very open floor plan, there's a chance you can heat it fairly easily.

So I should have a fan on the floor blowing down the staircase instead of cutting vents into the ceiling where the insert is?

Some have had success with the floor vents but many places require these to have a fusilble link in case of fire while other municipalities don't allow them at all. Many people post how they do the fan trick as you describe.

Some have had success with the floor vents but many places require these to have a fusilble link in case of fire while other municipalities don't allow them at all. Many people post how they do the fan trick as you describe.

Ya thats what Im hearing from a lot of people from this sight, in regards to the vent and keeping code. I am also trying to get an idea of how tons I'm gonna use this year. Any advice or knowledge you can throw at me I'd appreciate it.

My house was built in 1962 and has plaster walls. I'm not sure how insulated the walls are because it is cold in spots of the home. Are those home energy audits worth it?

Thanks for the advice on the OAK, dryer vent material would be much much cheaper in. My main plan is to vent it up through my fireplace, I measured from the top of my chimney to the ground yesterday and got 18', the question is should I use 3" or 4" exhaust pipe for that distance? I don't think the pellet stove will have any problem heating my house, the bedrooms and bathrooms are adjacent to the living room where the pellet stove will be and the furthest rooms are the kitchen and dining room. I turned on my space heater in my living room last night and had it up to about 75, I shut it off when I went to bed, by morning it was still 70 in the living room, outside temps were in the 40s last night.

As far as the basement goes, its going to be more economical for me to just run a space heater while using the family room. With my current electric prices, I could run a space heater for 10 hours continual and only use a little over a dollar in electric.

Another thing I wanted to ask is if anybody has experience with installing the vent pipe through the chimney. It would be easy enough to connection the sections and lower them down the chimney, then use a peice of flex to go through the damper and connect to the tee behind the stove, but the question is, how do I get into above the damper to attach the two pieces. Also how do I secure the pipe in place that runs up through the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.