New to pellets with yet another hearth question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dukefan3916

Oct 13, 2011
pa
So i just bought a p43 and decided to build my own hearth to save some money. I was advised by the stove shop i bought my stove from that some durock and tile would be fine. After installing the stove i found this site and have seen all of these hearth threads started here lately. I wanted to get your guys opinion on my hearth. It is on a hardwood floor and framed out with one by fours. I left gaps between them to give an air gap. on top of that i put 1/2 inch durock and topped with tile. In total it is about an inch and 3/4 thick I do see what you guys are talking about with the bottom of the stove getting hot however i can get to the underside of the floor in the basement and have not noticed abnormal heat transfering through. What do you guys think.

Pictures would help..But the way you described the set-up it sounds like you shouldn't have a problem.

I built mine almost the same as you with the only difference being I used 2x4's and I put a 1/2" sheet of plywood under my Durock just for better support.

Here is the install let me know what you think. Still working on painting the trim.

Attachments

• DSC00156.jpg
    DSC00156.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 459
dukefan3916 said:
Here is the install let me know what you think. Still working on painting the trim.

It looks great! IMO I think you are fine the way it is. After reading how you constructed it. Between the air space and 1/2" durock your r value I estimate is better than the .45 r value needed. The P43 is a great stove, I love mine. Have Fun!

I was just worried that there might be at least one of the one by fours under the stove somewhere

The stove & hearth look great! No worries.

Now we need to see pics of it while burning. :)

dukefan3916 said:
How big is your house pj

Approximately 1100 sq ft. The P43 hardly works up a sweat. :) I set the room temp at 75* and that keeps the rest of the house at 70*-72* The livingroom where the P43 sits gets 75*-76* but I like that temperature. Two story house shaped like an old salt box. House is about 100 years old, I put new doors and vinyl windows in and some insulation. Maybe 70-80% insulated. I have had the stove in 0* weather and it still had some headroom. It's funny, my dealer did a pre burn which cured most of the paint, but whenever I get a new low temperature outside I can tell the stove has reached a new temperature due to a slight "paint cure" smell. I think it's easy to clean too, no hidden areas, etc.

That is funny my house is about 90 years old and the same shape. A little bit bigger however at 1200 square feet. I have put new windows on also and will get to the doors maybe next year. I am hoping to cut into my oil bill a good bit if not completely. I have run the stove a little and love it.

Cool. I think you picked the perfect pellet stove. I haven't had mine for a full season yet. But from the use that I have had so far I figure I am way ahead. I was paying about 2400.00 a year for propane heat. That's with the thermostat at 65*. With the pellet stove at 75* and approximately four tons of pellets that's about 1000.00. So I should save about 1400.00 a season. I can't imagine I'll even use four tons but I like to estimate high. And of course the 1000.00 figure for pellets is based on paying 250.00 a ton, so if I can get them less expensive, even better! Oh, I almost forgot to mention that the house is a few degrees warmer too. I actually like cleaning the stove and taking things apart so it's become a hobby for me, another benefit. I could go on and on. :)

dukefan3916 said:
Pj do you run yours on room temp or stove temp

I run it on room temp. The temperature probe is just hanging off the back of the stove. Seems to work well so far like this. It looks like the picture in the manual.

Well done hearth.

I've been running my P43 on room temp the last few days. I dont like it quite as warm as PJ. Nice part is turning it down at bed time and when I head out the door to work for the day.

In the manual, it states what is needed for the hearth and, I believe using durarock and tile will not provide min. specs. That is not to say your house if going to burn down but, what if you have an issue? After running ours, I was suprised at how warm the base gets.

When I installed mine, I had to call our insurance company to inform them so that it is covered. The agent came to inspect, took measurements, and wanted picture of the hearth construction. Same for the chimney/liner install and thimble opening in the foundation. Glad I went overboard just to be on the safe side.

My .02 worth.

my building inspector wanted to add his 2 cents in the hearth specs. Check with insurance and bldg inspector with your installation book in hand.

padfitz said:
In the manual, it states what is needed for the hearth and, I believe using durarock and tile will not provide min. specs. That is not to say your house if going to burn down but, what if you have an issue? After running ours, I was suprised at how warm the base gets.

When I installed mine, I had to call our insurance company to inform them so that it is covered. The agent came to inspect, took measurements, and wanted picture of the hearth construction. Same for the chimney/liner install and thimble opening in the foundation. Glad I went overboard just to be on the safe side.

My .02 worth.

well like i said it is not only durock there are some one by fours framing it out and an air gap where the one bys are not there. I just called my insurance company and they added it without sending someone out. Everytime i run it the floor below the stove does not go above 85 degrees. I figure that is good but i am no professional.

dukefan3916 said:
padfitz said:

My .02 worth.

well like i said it is not only durock there are some one by fours framing it out and an air gap where the one bys are not there. I just called my insurance company and they added it without sending someone out. Everytime i run it the floor below the stove does not go above 85 degrees. I figure that is good but i am no professional.

I once found a great r value table online. Just tried locating it again but didn't find it. According to that your hearth pad is better than minimum, the durock helps but the best thing you did is that air gap. I am going to try and find that R value table for you. It's a good reference anyway. 1"x4" would be about 3/4" inch thick, so an air gap of 3/4" with the durock is a great setup IMO. I'll post back when I find the table.

well like i said before one of the one bys might be under the actual stove but i dont see any significant heat coming through the floor

Status
Not open for further replies.