New to site let's B.S.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLAYS WITH FIRE

Minister of Fire
Jan 28, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Man! I typed a nice long version of my install and the morons locked up the server. So when I tried to submit, GONE! Let's try this again!

I have a Buck Model 74, basement/gameroom install, masonry exterior chimney teracotta lined 7"x9", SS flex 18'(top to bottom) uninsulated and no block off plate. The guy I bought the stove from is a good friend and inspected the chimney. He said the chimney was much better than I described, almost unburned condition. I put the stove in end of Oct begining of Nov. this year. I have been burning about 12-16hrs per day.

Now with the install: My hearth is raised about 8" so after getting it on that I pushed this heavy mofo into place. Well, it did not go all the way back, damn! Litterally hit a wall or two. The taper of my firebox was just a bit to tight. So I took a small sledge and massaged the last courses or the firebrick about 3" per side away from the back firewall brick, it took time! After looking at this I thought why did the not make the fireplace bigger. I made the back of the firebox 6" bigger and there was still an airspace. So I stuffed Roxul behing the fire brick on both sides and filled the 3" gaps. I have no block plate, another story, so I stuffed the ROXUL in its place.

I know what you may say about the firebox modification and I thought about this too! The wall where the fireplace is, is basically brick-block- brick with aboslutely no combustable material.

I plan on filling the chimney with vermiculite this spring as I planned on insulating the liner when I installed it, to tight, no go!
My first load of wood from my uncle (84 acres lots of fuel) was a little moist! So I burned about a cord and got paranoid from hanging out on this site. So I cleaned my liner with a poly brush I go from tractor supply. 18' of rods and poly brush was 43 bux, not bad. Anyway, I scrubbed the piss out of it and got about 16oz. of dust. I burn it pretty hot but not as hot as I think! I boiled my rutland meter and it was 88 degrees off. I did not set the meter in the pot of water, I dangled it from thing wire so not to get the serface of the pot temp.

Right now this little stove, I think it is little, makes my ranch(1600 sq. ft.) about 90 down stairs and 69-71 upstairs. It has cut the gas bill, I have a boiler, in half.

I am 34, field service electrical engineer and can't spell, what do you think?

Are you a steelers fan?

GO STEELERS!

I would not have had the nads to modify the back of the fireplace - seems alright. Sounds like you are getting good heat and enjoying it. Welcome.

Ooooooooh, yes! However, if it were not the Steelers in the bowl, I would want the Packers to win! My dad and I are in the same boat on this one.

I didn't want to modify believe me! But it is only structural for the box and nothing more. In time I may remove insert and rebuild the box. It will take longer to remove the insert than rebuilding. I pull the covers off the insert an inspect once a week and sometimes while burning just to check things out. I am comfortable now, but I would think it is not up to code. I am VERY anal about following rules/codes and that bothers me not the safety issues. Heck, I have enough firebrick in my yard to double brick it!

Sounds like you're doing fine. Nothing wrong with being a little paranoid about creosote, especially in the beginning. Btw, I love your avatar. I wanted the Godzilla noise for my ring tone, but no one had it so I had to record it from the TV and an old VHS copy of Godzilla versus Monster Zero. That sound rocks!!!!!!!!! I do get some strange looks when it goes off in public though.

I see in your sig about the cats. This funny! My wifes cat, not mine, hangs out by the stove like she is on the beach! When she is missing you know where she is, chillin with her eyes rolling back into her head. Crazy cat! It took her a while to get used to it, you know how cats are? Now, you can not pry her away with cat food! What a life...

Yeah, That's awesome!!! One of mine, in particular, anxiously awaits the fire each afternoon. While I'm building it, he's right beside me. It's like a cave man and his saber tooth tiger. Once it's going he's the first to crash out in front of it like road kill. They do love it. I started a thread last year that came back last week called Your pets and your wood stove. You might want to look it up. Tons of great pictures of members pets in the wood stove coma. Enjoy.

Al

I did read that in my travels on this site...This cat bothers my wife for food and me for fire! She will follow me and trip me until she gets what she wants! I will walk in circles just to mess with her and she follows. She will meow and meow which sounds like "now"! Deffinetly my wife's cat!

Go Packers! Actually I have been sort of a fan of both teams so I won't be disappointed on who wins.

I have good friends from the area of Lambeau Field and have seen it in person. Strange but cool it is like in the middle town. My friend Glenn says that all the people in the area throw parties and tail gate for the people who go to the games, like a huge party!
My dad ever sice i was young always spoke very highly of the packers and well, "If my dad likes em, I like em". So either way a great team is going to win! That being said, "Let's go Steelers"!

Warm in RI said:
Yeah, That's awesome!!! One of mine, in particular, anxiously awaits the fire each afternoon. While I'm building it, he's right beside me. It's like a cave man and his saber tooth tiger. Once it's going he's the first to crash out in front of it like road kill. They do love it. I started a thread last year that came back last week called Your pets and your wood stove. You might want to look it up. Tons of great pictures of members pets in the wood stove coma. Enjoy.

Al

Thanks for mentioning the pet post I had never seen that and it was really cute.

Welcome PWF, have fun here. There is so much to see here, unfortunately there is sooooo much that alot of awesome stuff like the pet post just gets buried pretty deep!

szmaine said:
Warm in RI said:

Al

Thanks for mentioning the pet post I had never seen that and it was really cute.

Welcome PWF, have fun here. There is so much to see here, unfortunately there is sooooo much that alot of awesome stuff like the pet post just gets buried pretty deep!

Your welcome. Pretty much if you don't log on everyday in the winter you miss so much. Kinda slows down come late spring and it's easier to keep up. There are something like 800 plus pages of posts. You could keep busy for WEEKS.

PLAYS WITH FIRE said:
I did read that in my travels on this site...This cat bothers my wife for food and me for fire! She will follow me and trip me until she gets what she wants! I will walk in circles just to mess with her and she follows. She will meow and meow which sounds like "now"! Deffinetly my wife's cat!

Too funny. They are a riot sometimes.

Last year I bought some Roxul/rockwool from lowe's special order for stuffing into the blockoff plate area. One package cost about 50-60 bux. Well long story short Lowe's messed up and gave me 3 packages for their cost for their mistake. So I have been wondering what the heck to do with all this stuff and have found some things but still have a load left.

I read here about folks wanting to insulate around their insert but it was accepted that it could over heat the stove. This is on a Buckstove model 74 and cannot speak for any other manufacturer or even type of Buckstove. I didn't ask!

After getting off the phone with the engineer at Buck he said there is absolutely no problem doing this. I explained that I have and insert and and it is an exterior masonry chimney. He said it would save from heating the exterior masonry a little and keep more heat in the room.

I imagine it will keep the box more toastie and reload a little less. Again this is only a Buckstove model 74 and am using Roxul not standard insulation which is will not combust below 2150F!

We coulda knocked Pitt out last year if we DIDNT DECIDE IT WOULD BE A GREAT IDEA TO SPOT THE FRICKEN STEELERS 21 POINTS AT HOME!!

Welcome to the forums. Tell Big Ben he needs to go for a bike ride this week.

Hold my previous thoughts as I just got a call back from another engineer from Buck and he is going into the lab to speak to someone on this subject........

The engineer from Buck called me back and said this is absolutely ok to do. The only worry was the fact of out gassing from the rockwool. After looking on Roxul web site at the MSDS there is no issue, so I am good!

Good to know, thanks for reporting back their opinion. I wouldn't bother doing this for an interior chimney, but would certainly consider doing it with an uninsulated exterior masonry chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.