new to the 25 pdvc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Engineer in me needs to speak up.
The total heat extracted from the stove is dependent on both the temperature of the convection output and also the volume of the convection output. Maximising efficiency can be approximated by getting the product of (temperature x Volume) to it's maximum.
The problem is that adding objects that deflect the flow always also reduce the volume of air being moved. This is because those objects increase the resistance to flow by increasing turbulence. That same turbulence is what improves heat transfer from the metal surface to the flowing air.
I am not saying that what you have done won't improve the stove's efficiency. It is difficult to predict what will work and what won't. If you don't have a $40K dynamic flow software package, experience is the best guide to design.
Just my $0.02.

I'm not an engineer but been a fabricator, machinist for.... long enough to know that when I have 2 of the same thing and one doesn't work as it should somethings wrong. I, agree on the air flow with the plate I put in I, but my issue was with the temp. readings not air flow. I, only had a $25 thermometer to gauge with and was just trying to get a little more consistent heat across the front where it comes out I, found that without the plate that the right side was just a few degrees colder but, only by a couple degrees very marginal. I, have never taken apart my older stove to do this because I, always felt like there was sufficient heat coming out of it but, did get similar readings on the temp. gauge on the old stove compared to the new stove before I added the plate. Just changing the angle for the plate that was welded in from the factory made all the difference. Either way this is just what I did to solve my problems that I had with a product that I found other people were having this is all from feel nothing else.I, am" not suggesting" any one to cut their stove open to do this. I, love engineers work work with em' everyday but keep the software I'll go with my thermometer and how it feels on my hands Just my $0.02.

Status
Not open for further replies.