New to the forum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thesixs

Sep 14, 2010
PA
Hi everyone! We're new to the hearth forum, but had been on the I burn corn for several years. We have a US stove model 6039 with Chicken Dave's heat exchanger, original fans, motors, and an ABC panel with the version 33 firmware.

Wondered if anyone had ever replaced the glass gasket with a non tape adhesive gasket. Did you use the high temp Silicone or gasket cement? We replaced the gasket earlier this summer as part of our maintenance. All went well, and the glass was reinstalled and looked beautiful. Several hours later we found the glass had cracked from top to bottom. I am having a new piece of stove glass cut and need a new gasket. I don't want to pay shipping for 4 feet of gasket material and the local stove shop has the right size (and a good price) but it is not adhesive backed. Any suggestions??

if the glass and gasket are "pinched" in place i would just use enough adhesive to hold it in place until installed , the adhesive in most window gaskets is a "tape" backing and the adhesive on it burns away with the firest few fires. the adhesive is not necessary to hold the gasket in place after its installed and the supports are tightened in

Good to see you on the forum! I remember you posting over on IBC.

Winter is Coming!!!

AR

Geez... now I have to figure out what a Chicken Dave heat exchanger is and an ABC panel... God I hate technology.

Welcome aboard...

Agree with Mike. Can't imagine why you need adhesive backed gasket anyway. Its a little like installing an automotive gasket. Just use something that will hold it in place until you get the glass on. Silicone, chewing gum, or last nights left overs. Whatever will hold it temporarily.

If we are not understanding the problem let us know.

Welcome aboard thesixs!

Come on in! Have a seat by the stove with us and tell us about all the chicken dave heat exchanger. We have a few members that have the 6039 and maybe they could benefit from the mod! Please enlight us that don't know about it!

Thanks and enjoy!
jay

Hello and Welcome!

Yep- now you have our attention.
What the heck is a chicken dave heat exchanger? :lol:

Hey thesixs, welcome to the forum.

Yes, I want to know about the heat exchanger too :lol: , AND what ABC is. If it's really interesting, you'll have Blimp's undivided attention!

Post some pics if you can.

Hello and Welcome to the Forum !!!

thesixs said:
Hi everyone! We're new to the hearth forum, but had been on the I burn corn for several years. We have a US stove model 6039 with Chicken Dave's heat exchanger, original fans, motors, and an ABC panel with the version 33 firmware.

Wondered if anyone had ever replaced the glass gasket with a non tape adhesive gasket. Did you use the high temp Silicone or gasket cement? We replaced the gasket earlier this summer as part of our maintenance. All went well, and the glass was reinstalled and looked beautiful. Several hours later we found the glass had cracked from top to bottom. I am having a new piece of stove glass cut and need a new gasket. I don't want to pay shipping for 4 feet of gasket material and the local stove shop has the right size (and a good price) but it is not adhesive backed. Any suggestions??

Welcome to the forum. Theres a wealth of information here.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and the quick answer! As it turns out (and is par for the course) I got my cart before the horse. When I went to the local stove shop, the gasket was not only the correct size....but it was also adhesive backed!! I couldn't believe it for the price $1.20/foot. US Stove wants $5 and change plus shipping per foot. When I called the stove shop, the person answering the phone was not well informed and led me to believe there was no adhesive. But I sure appreciate the advice!! I thought the adhesive might be very important because it wraps around the perimeter of the glass. The outside of the glass snugs up to the inside of the door and very little insulation is exposed. On the inside there are only two bars (top and bottom) that hold the glass in place. The rest of the insulation is exposed (at least 3/8").

Chicken Dave was a fabricator on the IBC website. He designed a heat exchanger that could be installed in the 6039 to increase the heat distribution surface. Naturally we were intrigued and several bought the heat exchanger. Many measured the temperature of the air temp coming out of the stove before and after installation and found a marked increase. 23% seems to be the number I remember. I know it did make a difference for us. Anyway we are very happy with our Chicken Dave investment!

The ABC board was the older board from the 6039's. I believe the newer model has 4 buttons instead of three.

Sorry I have no pictures of the heat exchanger. I do have the gentleman's name and address who created it.

Hi ARGlock- I remember you from IBC too!

thesixs said:
Thanks for the warm welcome, and the quick answer! As it turns out (and is par for the course) I got my cart before the horse. When I went to the local stove shop, the gasket was not only the correct size....but it was also adhesive backed!! I couldn't believe it for the price $1.20/foot. US Stove wants $5 and change plus shipping per foot. When I called the stove shop, the person answering the phone was not well informed and led me to believe there was no adhesive. But I sure appreciate the advice!! I thought the adhesive might be very important because it wraps around the perimeter of the glass. The outside of the glass snugs up to the inside of the door and very little insulation is exposed. On the inside there are only two bars (top and bottom) that hold the glass in place. The rest of the insulation is exposed (at least 3/8").

Chicken Dave was a fabricator on the IBC website. He designed a heat exchanger that could be installed in the 6039 to increase the heat distribution surface. Naturally we were intrigued and several bought the heat exchanger. Many measured the temperature of the air temp coming out of the stove before and after installation and found a marked increase. 23% seems to be the number I remember. I know it did make a difference for us. Anyway we are very happy with our Chicken Dave investment!

The ABC board was the older board from the 6039's. I believe the newer model has 4 buttons instead of three.

Sorry I have no pictures of the heat exchanger. I do have the gentleman's name and address who created it.

Hi ARGlock- I remember you from IBC too!

So Chicken Dave WASN'T the White Winged Warrior?

Damn....

thesixs said:
So Chicken Dave WASN’T the White Winged Warrior?

Damn….

Well.......I never met him in person.....so I can't verify either way! Maybe he is!!!
though no pic, u can describe?

Here he is in all his feathered glory...

Attachments

• chickenman.jpg
    chickenman.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 172
thesixs said:
Love the Chicken!! I bet Chicken Dave would have been proud to use that as his avatar!!
No doubt...that IS classy!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.