New to the group..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rayrster

Feb 27, 2015
Rhode Island
Hi All,

I'm new to the group and burning. I have a Hearthstone Clydesdale going in March 6th. I've attached pictures of my fireplace transformation so far, I will post the final once Clyde is in ==c.

I've been doing a lot of reading on here and research which led me to the Clyde as my choice! I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as I go along but just wanted to say HI!

Attachments

• IMG_4203.JPG
    IMG_4203.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_4423.JPG
    IMG_4423.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 222
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 121
Welcome to the forum!

That's an impressive transformation. The Clyde will look great in there. Does the hearth have enough depth and at least a r-value of 1?

Great choice! I am in my 5th season with the Clydesdale and have nothing but good to say about it. Let me know if you have any questions - glad to help.

Reactions: rayrster
Thanks for the welcome! I've learned a ton off the group in the past few weeks...

Grisu, If I remember the depth was 28" and yes on the R-1.. The local dealer came out to pre inspect and said I'd have no issues.

The only thing I'm struggling with is setting it back more flush or out... I like the looks flush and from what I read out doesn't really change heat out put too much?? The room it's going in is only 300sq ft, we do not use that room, I plan on heating the house the best I can from that room with fans. 2300 sq ft all together Ranch style 2 story 8 ft ceilings. Staircase is just out side that room to the left, dealer said the heat will go up there no problem..

Thanks for the welcome! I've learned a ton off the group in the past few weeks...

Grisu, If I remember the depth was 28" and yes on the R-1.. The local dealer came out to pre inspect and said I'd have no issues.

28"?! I give up judging distances from pics. Or it's finally time for glasses.

The only thing I'm struggling with is setting it back more flush or out... I like the looks flush and from what I read out doesn't really change heat out put too much?? The room it's going in is only 300sq ft, we do not use that room, I plan on heating the house the best I can from that room with fans. 2300 sq ft all together Ranch style 2 story 8 ft ceilings. Staircase is just out side that room to the left, dealer said the heat will go up there no problem..

Is that fireplace at an interior or exterior wall? At an interior wall, the heat trapped in the fireplace will warm up the surrounding wall and release it into the rooms over time, just slower. At an exterior wall, you may lose some heat to the outside unless you put insulation behind it. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/finally-got-around-to-insulating-my-fireplace.75755/ Are you getting a block-off plate?
If looks won't matter that much because you rarely use the room I would pull it out a bit more to be on the safe side.

Is that fireplace at an interior or exterior wall? At an interior wall, the heat trapped in the fireplace will warm up the surrounding wall and release it into the rooms over time, just slower. At an exterior wall, you may lose some heat to the outside unless you put insulation behind it. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/finally-got-around-to-insulating-my-fireplace.75755/ Are you getting a block-off plate?
If looks won't matter that much because you rarely use the room I would pull it out a bit more to be on the safe side.

Ha! It's s big fireplace! I can put in the largest inserts made... I think it's 37 wide by 29 tall and its deep...

It is an interior chimney .. Block off plate is going at the top of the chimney according to the dealer...

I was thinking of leaving it out slightly so I can get a therm. On the top sill.

Hi All,

I'm new to the group and burning. I have a Hearthstone Clydesdale going in March 6th. I've attached pictures of my fireplace transformation so far, I will post the final once Clyde is in ==c.

I've been doing a lot of reading on here and research which led me to the Clyde as my choice! I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as I go along but just wanted to say HI!
Boy, that really looks nice. What did you cover the red brick with? Is it a tile or a stone veneer?

Ha! It's s big fireplace! I can put in the largest inserts made... I think it's 37 wide by 29 tall and its deep...

It is an interior chimney .. Block off plate is going at the top of the chimney according to the dealer...

I highly recommend putting one in at the damper like this: https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/make-a-damper-sealing-block-off-plate/ That will give you much better heat retention. Otherwise, warm air will rise up the chimney, transfer its heat to any brick that is in contact with the outside (including unconditioned attic), fall back down as cool air and so on. Plus, even for an interior chimney an insulated liner is highly recommended especially if you are not certain that you have enough clearances.

I highly recommend putting one in at the damper like this: https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/make-a-damper-sealing-block-off-plate/ That will give you much better heat retention. Otherwise, warm air will rise up the chimney, transfer its heat to any brick that is in contact with the outside (including unconditioned attic), fall back down as cool air and so on. Plus, even for an interior chimney an insulated liner is highly recommended especially if you are not certain that you have enough clearances.

I have an Email into the dealer on this, I'll update.... Thanks for the tip makes perfect sense.

I have an Email into the dealer on this, I'll update.... Thanks for the tip makes perfect sense.

He will probably be reluctant to install a proper block-off plate as it is essentially a custom job that they need to figure out during the install. Most dealers claim that it will be sufficient to stuff some Roxul (or worse since not approved for high temps: fiberglass) into the damper area. Nevertheless, most members here that switched from that to a real block-off plate noticed quite an improvement in the heat output of their insert. Given that it is an one-time job lasting easily as long as liner and insert are in place, I would insist on one.

He will probably be reluctant to install a proper block-off plate as it is essentially a custom job that they need to figure out during the install. Most dealers claim that it will be sufficient to stuff some Roxul (or worse since not approved for high temps: fiberglass) into the damper area. Nevertheless, most members here that switched from that to a real block-off plate noticed quite an improvement in the heat output of their insert. Given that it is an one-time job lasting easily as long as liner and insert are in place, I would insist on one.

Perfect... I'll do that. If push comes to shove I'll just have someone come out and install a proper one if it comes to that. Sounds worth the extra $$ if I have to

Perfect... I'll do that. If push comes to shove I'll just have someone come out and install a proper one if it comes to that. Sounds worth the extra $$ if I have to

One other thing I'm a little fuzzy on is the break in fires... I get why they are important exspecialy on new stoves but some say 2-3 and the Clydsdale manual only mentions doing one? I'll probably do at least 2 over that weekend . Any insight to real world and what's ok or not?

Welcome to the forum.

Bob

Grisu, You aren't loosing it I remeasured the depth and its 24" .......

Looking very good and I don't even notice the cord.

Drool....

I was within a day of buying that insert in 2006. Will always wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.