New to the site and pellet stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefwonders

Nov 11, 2010
Mid-Michigan(Munith)
I'm new here, I have an American Harvest 6039. I got this stove from a friend. He had it was in his garage and only ran 10 bags in it,so at $650 I couldn't pass it up. Oh ya it came with the pipe too. I'm at 3 tons of pellets.2 tons of Somersets and 1 ton of ProPellets. I got some great deals $179 a ton.

Good deal on the pellets. Enjoy the stove and the heat. Where did you put your stove?

Here is my pellet pile.
utf-8BSU1BRzAwODIuanBn.jpg

And here is the stove
utf-8BSU1BRzAwNzguanBn.jpg

Yep that's a double hung window :cheese: My wife doesnt want to see the stove during the off season and I have a window that needs to be replaced. The window company has a sash replacement kit,so now I have a way to keep the wife happy and keep my heating bill down to a minimum. I cut the glass out and framed it in a way I can still pull out the sash fairly easy and yes its insulated. Last year we spent $3000 on propane,NOT AGAIN!!!

Reef,

are you sure that pipe outside the window is allowed by building code? Has a town inspector or Fire Dept. inspector OK'd that install??

Doesn't look Kosher to me..........

BTW, why did your friend sell the stove after only 10 bags?

I might be wrong but I see two things that dont look right. One of them is the vent pipe looks like it goes out by the window and exhausts right there, which isnt a good way to go when the wind blows. The vent pipe should be off to one side of any window I was told. Im also not sure if code allows that type of venting I thought the pipe had to be 3 feet from a window , off to the side. Thats just how the picture looks from the way I see it.

The second thing that would bother me, and again I dont know how close that is , that is the curtains right behind the stove. They are a combustable material and I wouldnt be comfortable having curtains anywhere near the stove.

Just from my perspective and how safety cautious I am with fire, and stoves, I'd be very uncomfortable with that setup. But the stove does look good, and the pad its on looks good too. I have an insert in my fireplace and I dont have anything that would burn within 5 feet of the fireplace.

Hope you enjoy the heat from it.

It has been inspected and it passed. The curtains are gone too. As long as the window can't be opened its kosher. The way I framed it makes it inopritable. Thank you for all the concerns. It shows people still care.

Reefwonders said:
It has been inspected and it passed. The curtains are gone too. As long as the window can't be opened its kosher. The way I framed it makes it inopritable. Thank you for all the concerns. It shows people still care.

Well, then you're good to go then. Hope it heats well for you. Oh, don't forget to get a GOOD surge protector on that.....I didn't see one in the pic.

imacman said:
Reefwonders said:

Well, then you're good to go then. Hope it heats well for you. Oh, don't forget to get a GOOD surge protector on that.....I didn't see one in the pic.

Glad you said that. I didn't even think of that. :) It's been getting down to the lower thirties,so I have been running it. It's on the lower setting(2 and 2) and it keeps the area that it's in at 80 and the rest of the house at 70. I have the ceiling fan on high and a fan blowing down the hallway. I did read on this site that you should have the fan blowing into the area where the stove is instead of towards the other area.

Reef,

You made your wife happy and have a working, inspected stove!!

Congratulations.

Enjoy,

Ranger

Stove should save a lot of propane I was burning 1000 gallon a year till I bought the stove. Last year we used 450 gal this year looks like it will be 300 gal unless we get a real cold snap by end of December. Our house is now 70 degrees at night and 72 degrees during the day. Enjoy the heat.

I see a DIY drywall and taping project for next spring.

If you still want something there ..frame and install one of those Octagonal windows for effect.

AZ Pellet Guy said:
Stove should save a lot of propane I was burning 1000 gallon a year till I bought the stove. Last year we used 450 gal this year looks like it will be 300 gal unless we get a real cold snap by end of December. Our house is now 70 degrees at night and 72 degrees during the day. Enjoy the heat.

I know what you mean. I have a 500 gallon tank and we filled up 4 times last year :ahhh:

Taperbill said:
I see a DIY drywall and taping project for next spring.

If you still want something there ..frame and install one of those Octagonal windows for effect.

Same window going back in.

I love creative installs.

Enjoy the wamth and the much lower heating costs.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.