New to This: Buying a house with a ducted wood stove. Process to convert to pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebookpro

May 10, 2016
Central MA
My wife and I just had an offer accepted on a home. It's a two-story colonial (about 2000 square feet), with a finished basement. It has electric baseboard heat, but the current owners heat the home entirely with a wood stove. We'd like to convert the wood stove to a pellet stove for the sake of convenience.

I'll have a professional handle the installation, but I'm hoping someone could explain the process, since it'll be at least 45 days before we move in.

The current set-up seems strange. There's a wood stove in a small (maybe 3' by 4') room in the basement. There's a large air intake above the stove (not attached), which presumably pumps the hot air through ducts up to the main floor(s). I'll get a closer look during our inspection on Friday to see how it's vented, etc., but I'm wondering if anyone knows the following:
  • Have you ever seen a similar set-up before?
  • Is it simple to essentially swap the wood stove for a pellet stove, perhaps with a more direct connection to the ducts?
  • Estimated installation cost? I know stoves themselves can run $1500-4000 depending on the model/size/efficiency.
Any help would be appreciated.

This is most likely a convection type system where hot air rises up the pipes to the heated area
I have seen this system though not for many years . It works quit well.
I may be wrong but I don't think a pellet stove will not work in this configuration . at
least not a well as a wood stove which is more radiant as opposed to a pellet stove being forced air

Last edited:
This system will not work well for a pellet stove. Is it legal in your jurisdiction with the wood stove set-up as it is? Ravelli (there may be others) does have a ducted pellet stove, however, the max length of ducting is 10' so not really a viable option for stove located in the basement of a two story home. A pellet stove is a space heater so you generally install it in your living space that is used more frequently. There are members that have 2 stoves in their homes.

Not knowing your lay-out, a pellet boiler may be an option but they are pricey. What other options have you looked at?

Reactions: ian105
This system will not work well for a pellet stove. Is it legal in your jurisdiction with the wood stove set-up as it is? Ravelli (there may be others) does have a ducted pellet stove, however, the max length of ducting is 10' so not really a viable option for stove located in the basement of a two story home. A pellet stove is a space heater so you generally install it in your living space that is used more frequently. There are members that have 2 stoves in their homes.

Not knowing your lay-out, a pellet boiler may be an option but they are pricey. What other options have you looked at?

We haven't explored other options yet, but we do have a regular fireplace/chimney on the main floor. Perhaps the best option would be keeping the wood stove, and adding a pellet stove there. That can stay running all the time during the colder months, and we can supplement with the wood stove when we're home. Thoughts on that approach?

That sounds like a suspect setup to me, although pics might help - I might be misunderstanding something.

A wood stove in a 3'x4' room would have next to no clearances to combustibles, I would think?

I guess if an offer has been made & accepted, that's that - but I would have gotten it inspected by a pro. Or maybe it was?

Hopefully the offer is contingent on inspection. This does not sound like a code legal setup. Return air ducts need to be at least 10 ft from the stove. I would have this inspected by a heating professional that is up on code and also discuss with your insurance company to determine if this is a liability.

Wood and pellet stoves are area heaters. Sometimes natural or assisted convection can heat a large area, maybe even the whole house depending on layout, sizing and heat losses. For a ducted system one needs a wood or pellet furnace that is designed and tested for this type of service.

That sounds like a suspect setup to me, although pics might help - I might be misunderstanding something.

A wood stove in a 3'x4' room would have next to no clearances to combustibles, I would think?

I guess if an offer has been made & accepted, that's that - but I would have gotten it inspected by a pro. Or maybe it was?

Offer is contingent upon inspection, which is happening Friday. If it's not up to code, we'll have to evaluate a path forward.

Good plan. Permits for the stove installation may not have included subsequent ducting additions. If you are going to be present during the inspection, take pictures of the installation and post them here.

I am thinking also that if a particular setup was installed even under code at some point in the past, that might not guarantee that it is insurable today. Particularly if it will involve a new insurer & policy. Or that it won't negatively affect insurance rates in a big way, if it is insurable. Usually duct work plus a space-heating stove isn't a 'proper' combo.

Did you mean the real estate agent will provide the permits? Not to speak ill of real estate agents, but I would double check everything they show and/or tell you that you would be relying on. In this case, I would make sure your insurance guy gives their OK too, preferably in writing, after they give a look-see.

Would like to see pics - sounds rather unique.

I am thinking also that if a particular setup was installed even under code at some point in the past, that might not guarantee that it is insurable today. Particularly if it will involve a new insurer & policy. Or that it won't negatively affect insurance rates in a big way, if it is insurable. Usually duct work plus a space-heating stove isn't a 'proper' combo.

Did you mean the real estate agent will provide the permits? Not to speak ill of real estate agents, but I would double check everything they show and/or tell you that you would be relying on. In this case, I would make sure your insurance guy gives their OK too, preferably in writing, after they give a look-see.

Would like to see pics - sounds rather unique.

My dad said the same regarding getting the permits from the agent. I'll be making a trip to the town hall tomorrow to get them myself. I'll be sure to take photos and post them on Friday for the group's review here. Thanks again for the input so far!

Insert is a definite option in the fireplace (chimney liner and stove) but warm air flow still may not reach upstairs well . How far in the ground is the basement? Unless it is a walk-out, heat loss is minimal and amount of energy needed to bring it up to comfortable levels is minimal. Stairs for second level - centrally located or?

X3 on getting the permits for the wood stove and ducting currently in place... Glad you showed up with the questions before closing so a belated welcome to the forum:)

Reactions: bogieb
How far in the ground is the basement? Unless it is a walk-out, heat loss is minimal and amount of energy needed to bring it up to comfortable levels is minimal.

Really depends on if is finished - or at least has good insulation. Heating up the foundation and a couple of feet outward can take quite a bit of energy. There is a reason the roses I planted 2-3 ft from the foundation survived and the ones 15 ft from the house didn't. And, the ones near the foundation are in direct wind, where the others were protected.

Yes, an uninsulated basement can transfer up to a third of the heat generated to the soil outside the walls.

Basement is finished in this instance ... one would hope there is some insulation in place but no guarantees.

Reactions: bogieb
Basement is finished in this instance ... one would hope there is some insulation in place but no guarantees.
I missed where that was mentioned.

Update: Home inspection went very well. Here are the pics, as promised.

Here's the little "stove room" I mentioned in the basement.
pTee7Cz.jpg

A look at the outside of the wood stove.
3QRXeZJ.jpg

Inside the stove.
VruNkrz.jpg

Here's the primary duct/vent. It leads to two vents on the main floor.
g8CqgYw.jpg

This is also in the "stove room" on the ceiling. It leads to the upstairs vents (second floor).
tr6nR0L.jpg

Here's a look at the chimney/flue (is that the right term?) coming from the stove.
LCHvOt3.jpg

Below are pics of the actual vents in the floor. The first two are on the main floor, and the second two are on the second floor (one hallway, one bedroom).
kCG5WYm.jpg

dt5LmNX.jpg

9Unu9bX.jpg

gYTURVF.jpg

Some questions:

• Would it make sense to swap this wood stove for a pellet stove? Does the space allow for it?
  • Any concerns about the set-up? The walls in the "stove room" are Durock, if that makes any difference.
Thanks again for all of your input so far. Sincerely appreciated.

My wife and I just had an offer accepted on a home. It's a two-story colonial (about 2000 square feet), with a finished basement. It has electric baseboard heat, but the current owners heat the home entirely with a wood stove. We'd like to convert the wood stove to a pellet stove for the sake of convenience.

I'll have a professional handle the installation, but I'm hoping someone could explain the process, since it'll be at least 45 days before we move in.

The current set-up seems strange. There's a wood stove in a small (maybe 3' by 4') room in the basement. There's a large air intake above the stove (not attached), which presumably pumps the hot air through ducts up to the main floor(s). I'll get a closer look during our inspection on Friday to see how it's vented, etc., but I'm wondering if anyone knows the following:
  • Have you ever seen a similar set-up before?
  • Is it simple to essentially swap the wood stove for a pellet stove, perhaps with a more direct connection to the ducts?
  • Estimated installation cost? I know stoves themselves can run $1500-4000 depending on the model/size/efficiency.
Any help would be appreciated.
That is so old school and not safe. Seriously not safe. JMO.

That was my first impression ... can`t imagine it is a legal install. What did the inspector have to say about it?

Wow ... I'm no where near knowledgeable enough to give advice on install of a wood stove but I know enough that I wouldn't be happy with that set-up. What are the inspector's credentials?

Wow ... I'm no where near knowledgeable enough to give advice on install of a wood stove but I know enough that I wouldn't be happy with that set-up. What are the inspector's credentials?

He came highly recommended, and seems to be as well credentialed as I could hope for. From his website:

[redacted] is a licensed home inspector in the state of Massachusetts, is NACHI/ASHI certified, and holds certification from the D.E.P. (radon – Environmental Protection) and the Department of Agriculture.

Additional Credentials
  • Experience as an approved Instructor for real estate agent continuing education classes in Pennsylvania 1994-2013.
  • Masters Certification in recognition for excellence in running his inspection business
  • Has completed over 10,000 home inspections
  • Taught/trained home inspectors for the past 20 years.
  • Completed a state of the art “green” community services building, The EECO building, for the city of Pittsburgh.
  • Appeared in numerous TV spots and has played an integral role in programs such as “Building Dreams” and “Trading Spaces”

Status
Not open for further replies.