1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

New tool, and it didn't cost a fortune.

Post in 'The Gear' started by MasterMech, Jun 28, 2013.

1. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

[​IMG]

Friend of mine picked one of these up and thought it was pretty cool. He buys 2 cycle oil by the quart to run in his '78 Suzuki GT750 so he figured this would be an easy and cheap way to measure out a bit of oil for the little bit of gas he needs to run his chainsaw and trimmer. I was intrigued enough that I had him pick me up one. He gave it to me in exchange for sharpening the saw so I say I did pretty well! ==c

I think I might give it a try just for the fun of it. I typically blow through a gallon can of mix in a weekend when I'm actively cutting. Otherwise I might get 2 weeks out of 1 gallon, or I might get 2 days. This tool is obviously intended for those who need to mix small quantities rather than guys like me where sometimes a gallon can seems inadequate. But I could see it being useful for mixing oil a gallon at a time when the oil container doesn't have a measuring system built in.

Amazon Link
    HDRock and ScotO like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    This appears to be for those Euro's or Canucks that mix their fuel by the liter? Or is the other side marked for gallons?
  3. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

One of the disadvantages is that it is marked in litres! You could just substitute the word Quart for liter and you would be pretty close, erring on the rich (safe) side. There is an oz. scale molded in, 2 oz is the upper limit.
  4. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Or if you run 100:1, just fill it to the 25:1 mark and dump it in a gallon. Like you said, close enough and a little heavy on the oil if anything.
  5. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

The smaller the quantity of fuel you're mixing, the less it matters. 1 quart is 95% of a liter. I dare say most folks are off by more than that (5%) mixing with "normal" methods.
  6. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I have the same exact tool marked in imperial units. Bought it so many years ago that I can't remember where I got it, but this is the "syringe" tool of which I was speaking yesterday, when someone was discussing 100:1 mix in another thread.
  7. WES999

WES999 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mass north of Boston
    I bought a couple of 500ml plastic bottles, and use a 5ml plastic measuring spoon to measure the oil. One spoon plus a little more to 250 ml of gas and 40:1.
    Works fine if you don't use a lot of gas.
  8. I use a regular syringe, have to do the math myself though.
    [​IMG]
  9. tekguy

tekguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    west mass
    i use one of those 'ratio rite' cups.. about the same price, maybe not as convenient as a syringe but might be more verstatile as its not limited to such a small size

[​IMG]
    rkshed and ScotO like this.
  10. charly

charly Guest

I have one of those as well... Used it during my Harley tech days to measure out fork fluid for the front ends..
    ScotO likes this.
  11. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

The whole point of the tool is for mixing smaller quantities of fuel. A gallon of fuel is often more than Harry Homeowner will use in a season running just a small trimmer or a blower. Especially as the newer equipment is quite a bit more efficient than legacy stuff.
  12. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I accidentally dropped something on my Ratio Rite cup this past winter.....I need to get another one. I buy my mix oil by the gallon, I use it in the snowmobile, chainsaws, weedeaters, leaf blower, etc....
    Being I do tree removal as a side job, I go through a TON of mixed fuel every year. That RR cup is an awesome tool.
  13. I never have bought a ratio cup. Figured it would just get dirt and dust in it from sitting around between uses. I have a hard enough time finding a clean funnel to use when I need one.
  14. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I stuff a clean rag in it when it's not in use, and store it inside a cupboard in the shop 'upside down'.....never had a problem getting contaminants in it that way. They also make a lid for the RR cup that snaps on, keeps the dirt out of it.
    Nixon likes this.
  15. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I just recently switched from measuring out my own to buying the pre-measured (2.6 oz) Stihl 50:1 bottles. Too easy. I'm assuming whoever bottles the stuff likely double-check's the fill volume by weight, so zero chance for screwing up. I'm just a Harry Homeowner, but I do go thru several gallons of 2-stroke mix per year, cutting 10 - 14 cords per year, and running various lawn implements.

One question, though... I'm told Husqvarna and Stihl both state you must use their oil to maintain the warranty on a new saw. I haven't read the warranty statement myself, but that's what's been relayed to me. How would they know if someone had run another oil? ;lol
  16. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Joful, save those little empty bottles and refill them. Amsoil makes a good synthetic two-stroke oil, it's cheaper to buy it in a larger quantity like that. Simply refill your used up Stihl bottles.
    Joful and Jack Fate like this.
  17. Jack Fate

Jack Fate Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest Ohio
    I DO THIS TOO :p
    ScotO likes this.
  18. charly

charly Guest

Holly crap I do the same thing! Funnels too! ;lol If in doubt I spray it with some electronic cleaner before using anything.
    ScotO likes this.
  19. tekguy

tekguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    west mass
    i get it, didn't mean to hijack, just put it out there as others may not be aware they exist

the ratio rite cup is 24oz so adding a .5oz (or 15ml) of 2 stroke to a cup would equal 50:1
    so the tools may work well together in small batches
    (technically it would be 48:1 )
  20. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Unless they are giving away oil, they could never enforce such a requirement. Google "magnuson moss warranty act". Dealers however can and do make up some interesting rules of their own. They are just as non-enforceable.
    Nixon likes this.
  21. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Stihl doubles the warranty if you purchase Stihl Ultra or Stihl MotoMix when you purchase your equipment:

http://www.stihlusa.com/information/warranty-service-info/engine-oil-double-warranty/
  22. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Update! Noticed that the tool is marked in liters on on side and quarts on the other. Only took 2 days..... ;em
    HDRock and Joful like this.
  23. charly

charly Guest

Thanks ;)