New Tool

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

redyute

Feeling the Heat
Dec 4, 2015
southern maryland
Figured i'd show off my new trailer to lol. 7x16 7k max load brakes on one axle. Display unit so i got it on sale. Now to put it to work lol.
New Tool

With the 16 foot box, and my stove taking 18” splits, I just cut all logs to 15 feet and drag them on. At home I drag them off and to the splitter where I buck and split.

Invest in log tongs, greatest invention since the wheel!

Reactions: SpaceBus
With the 16 foot box, and my stove taking 18” splits, I just cut all logs to 15 feet and drag them on. At home I drag them off and to the splitter where I buck and split.

Invest in log tongs, greatest invention since the wheel!
i got tongs i use them around the yard to move logs when i get them

Reactions: Ashful
Nice! I just got one very similar two years ago, and quickly realized there’s no better way to move wood. Now you need to put a winch on it!

View attachment 239232
Take a pic of how you mounted your winch, been looking at winches for the last hour and still not sure which one i should get.The atv ones are rated 3500 lbs but i'm not sure if that would work for me.

Last edited:
Take a pic of how you mounted your winch, been looking at winches for the last hour and still not sure which one i should get.The atv ones are rated 3500 lbs but i'm not sure if that would work for me.

Look at speed before capacity, since you’re only dragging, and you’ll never put any more than 5000 lb on that trailer. I bought a 7500 lb unit, because it was on sale half price and cheaper than any smaller unit, but I’d have done better with the 5500 lb model that uses the same motor with faster gearing.

I’d think 3000 lb would be plenty sufficient, and I’d shop the lowest capacity model in each series, to find best speed. Typically, model series dictates motor hp, and then they offer 2 - 3 gear ratios in that motor frame.

I have a whole thread on how I mounted mine on this forum. I’ll try to find it.

Look at speed before capacity, since you’re only dragging, and you’ll never put any more than 5000 lb on that trailer. I bought a 7500 lb unit, because it was on sale half price and cheaper than any smaller unit, but I’d have done better with the 5500 lb model that uses the same motor with faster gearing.

I’d think 3000 lb would be plenty sufficient, and I’d shop the lowest capacity model in each series, to find best speed. Typically, model series dictates motor hp, and then they offer 2 - 3 gear ratios in that motor frame.

I have a whole thread on how I mounted mine on this forum. I’ll try to find it.
I'm looking at a 3500lbs one i might just pick up,

I need a trailer. At first I got excited because I thought this was about thenew Tool album that I still don't believe is ever coming out.

Reactions: Ashful and ZZ Tom
I need a trailer. At first I got excited because I thought this was about thenew Tool album that I still don't believe is ever coming out.
lol which album is that you speak of

lol which album is that you speak of
Ha, that's the point. There's supposedly a new Tool album imminently coming out and even a tour for it. I think Maynard is trolling everyone and there is no album.

Now you need to put a winch on it!
BTW to all that my consider a winch but don't have a lot of experience with rigging - you see how ashful has that heavy chain over the cable, that's a damper incase the line breaks (or parts) and it will significantly reduce the kick back and keep you safe and the back window of the truck safe.

I'm looking at a 3500lbs one i might just pick up,

If I had to do it over, I’d consider a 120v winch plugged into a generator in the bed of my truck. My biggest headache with my rig has been battery location, charging, etc.

Reactions: D8Chumley
BTW to all that my consider a winch but don't have a lot of experience with rigging - you see how ashful has that heavy chain over the cable, that's a damper incase the line breaks (or parts) and it will significantly reduce the kick back and keep you safe and the back window of the truck safe.

Thanks for the tip, I never would have considered this. I'm thinking about bundling a trailer with my tractor purpose, I just don't have anywhere to put it right now.

If I had to do it over, I’d consider a 120v winch plugged into a generator in the bed of my truck. My biggest headache with my rig has been battery location, charging, etc.
I'm thinking i will run a 4 awg cable from one of the truck batteries all the way under the rear bumper somewhere to power the winch

I'm thinking i will run a 4 awg cable from one of the truck batteries all the way under the rear bumper somewhere to power the winch

I was just thinking about this. Could you not just make an "extension cord" for the battery to the winch and just disconnect it when you aren't using the winch? Sounds way easier to deal with than running cable the length of your truck.

I was just thinking about this. Could you not just make an "extension cord" for the battery to the winch and just disconnect it when you aren't using the winch? Sounds way easier to deal with than running cable the length of your truck.

Definitely can,just power only, then pull ground from the chassis

I considered this, but there are complicating factors there, too. A winch of this size will pull 100 - 150 amps for long periods, and a typical truck battery is not really suitable for this type of load. If your truck isn't running, you're likely to find the battery too weak to start it at the end of the job, and then you're stranded. If your truck is running and you suck that battery charge down quicker than the charging system can keep up, you have a good chance of damaging the charging system.

All of these problems can be solved with some thought and planning, but I found it way easier to just put a separate charging system and deep cycle batteries right on the trailer.

Yes, I bet it would be cake to pull ground from the trailer.
I suppose it's possible, but remember, this ain't no wimpy 10 amp circuit. You are not guaranteed a connection with low enough resistance from battery thru ball hitch into trailer, for a 150 amp load. 2-conductor AWG-4, sold for jumper cable assemblies, is just too cheap to make this an issue worth debating, if you plan to pull from the truck battery. BTW, make sure you include a fuse or fusible link at the battery end of that cable, in case it chafes thru and shorts against the truck chassis at any point. AWG-4 can make quite a mess of things, if it shorts the battery.

I considered this, but there are complicating factors there, too. A winch of this size will pull 100 - 150 amps for long periods, and a typical truck battery is not really suitable for this type of load. If your truck isn't running, you're likely to find the battery too weak to start it at the end of the job, and then you're stranded. If your truck is running and you suck that battery charge down quicker than the charging system can keep up, you have a good chance of damaging the charging system.

I got snow plow package dual alternators factory option even if i have no intention of running a plow so my charging system is more than capable if i decide to go that route.

2016 ram 2500 6.7 turbo diesel, the almighty cummins lol

I got snow plow package dual alternators factory option even if i have no intention of running a plow so my charging system is more than capable if i decide to go that route.

2016 ram 2500 6.7 turbo diesel, the almighty cummins lol

I have an 06 3500 DRW Cummins. I bought it used just last summer. I'll have to see how robust the charging system is. I was planning on getting a fairly heavy duty winch to mount on the truck for emergencies (the weather turns fast up here), but maybe now I'll revise my plan.

I have an 06 3500 DRW Cummins. I bought it used just last summer. I'll have to see how robust the charging system is. I was planning on getting a fairly heavy duty winch to mount on the truck for emergencies (the weather turns fast up here), but maybe now I'll revise my plan.

We seem to forget that the winch was designed to work on a typical truck battery and charging system, trust me it will be just fine if you hookup to the truck battery with the engine running. Now if you got the engine off and running on straight battery then you will discharge that battery pretty quick.

We seem to forget that the winch was designed to work on a typical truck battery and charging system, trust me it will be just fine if you hookup to the truck battery with the engine running. Now if you got the engine off and running on straight battery then you will discharge that battery pretty quick.

Good point. My CJ7 never had issues with the winch while running.

Yeah the winch is connected to a relay then battery, you'd be surprised to see the kind of amperage those little devices kicks out. I'm here brain storming where i want to mount this thing, on the tongue or inside the bed