New Tool

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Starting (SLI) batteries have much thinner plates, and many more of them, than a deep cycle battery. They’re capable of delivering enormous amounts of current, much more than any comparable size deep cycle battery, but they’ll live a short life (burn out) if you try to pull current from them for extended periods, such as winching. Most modern SLI batteries use a sponge or sintered type plate, for even more surface area in a smaller unit volume, but this makes them even more vulnerable to failure when deep cycled. They are really designed to operate at continuous 95% - 100% charge, and will usually die after just a few dozen deep cycles.

Deep cycle batteries have far fewer, but much heavier solid lead plates. They are designed to take hundreds or thousands excursions into deep-cycle (below 50% charge) territory. Because of the solid lead plates, they have less surface area, and thus lower starting current (cranking amps), but they can run longer at winch capacity (150 amps) without damage or failure.

I am not sure what type of battery would be used on your truck with the special plowing rig, they may be deep cycle, I suppose. Normal single-battery gasser pickups always have SLI batteries.

I’ll be interested to see how you mount your winch. I mounted mine up high, on a tripod stand above the rail, so I could pull logs up the gate and right up to the front of the trailer. A smarter route is the toggle that a few here have mounted to the rails of the trailer, which physically lift and place the log on the trailer, I may go that route in the future, but what I have works pretty darn well.

Any considerations on the run time limit recommendations for winches? It’s something i never thought of until I read my Warn winch manual again but I know I’ve over done it more than once and the winch is still going strong.

Any considerations on the run time limit recommendations for winches? It’s something i never thought of until I read my Warn winch manual again but I know I’ve over done it more than once and the winch is still going strong.

Never paid attention to it, myself. But given the aforementioned oversizing of the winch on my trailer, I’m probably almost always operating below 20% of max capacity. I think the max runtime concerns are mostly an issue at higher loading.

Some dude posted some wood on craiglist so i had to test out the trailer. Drove a good hour ended up getting some dam poplar and beech, thing is the poplar was in the way so he had to load it first smh.
New Tool
New Tool
New Tool

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Was bad talking the poplar not the beech lol. I love beech
The poplar is good too, just not for burn times. It ignites quickly and starts putting out heat quickly. When I'm home and awake I prefer soft woods.

The poplar is good too, just not for burn times. It ignites quickly and starts putting out heat quickly. When I'm home and awake I prefer soft woods.
well its free lol so ill be splitting it, dam it should be ready for next winter if i split it now. How much time does beech need to season, is it as bad as oak?

Reactions: SpaceBus
well its free lol so ill be splitting it, dam it should be ready for next winter if i split it now. How much time does beech need to season, is it as bad as oak?

Beech is also called ironwood to give you an idea. It will be prime firewood in a few years.

Beech is also called ironwood to give you an idea. It will be prime firewood in a few years.

I guess there must be a few “ironwoods”. Around here, ironwood is Ipe, and I can assure you it deserves the name. I’ve broken a lot of drill bits and screws in Ipe, and it destroys carbide sawblades. It also sinks in water.

Nice score on the beech! Too bad you had to take the poplar, I’d dump that in the woods, unless you are real short on wood supply. I have burned a full cord of poplar in eight days before, it just vaporizes in the stove.

Last edited:
I guess there must be a few “ironwoods”. Around here, ironwood is Ipe, and I can assure you it deserves the name. I’ve broken a lot of drill bits and screws in Ipe, and it destroys carbide sawblades. It also sinks in water.

Nice score on the beech! Too bad you had to take the poplar, I’d dump that in the woods, unless you’ve got some free hours to waste at the splitter, and are real short on wood supply. I have burned a full cord of poplar in eight days before, it just vaporizes in the stove.
I know i was like dude give me the big stuff he was scared like man you trailer cant take much load, i told him it rated at 7000 lbs he was like dam we couldn't load that amount on there even if we tried lol. He got plenty more good stuff but dont be at the job site on weekends

He could have set most of the Poplar aside and then given you more Beech but maybe he wasn’t willing to do that... if it were me in the skid I’d say first come best wood. There’s a lot of wood there... too bad it’s a two hour round trip but it’s still worth the trip.

Around here beech is good . . . but hop hornbeam is known as "iron wood."

Nevermind, Jake is correct, the Audoban guide says Hornbeam is Ironwood in Europe. Hop Hornbeam is known as Ironwood as well. American Hornbeam is known as blue beech or water beech.

This Eastern North American tree guide by the Audoban society is amazing.

He could have set most of the Poplar aside and then given you more Beech but maybe he wasn’t willing to do that... if it were me in the skid I’d say first come best wood. There’s a lot of wood there... too bad it’s a two hour round trip but it’s still worth the trip.
Don't mind the drive at all if or when i go back i'll be telling him not to load no more poplar, its hard since he isn't on site on weekends

Take half a day off from work.
He can only haul $100 worth of logs at a time on that trailer, and it's a two hour round trip before you even count the time for loading and unloading. You're looking at probably close to 4 hours per load by the time you load and unload it, so maybe $25 per hour, versus just having a log truck dump better stuff right in your yard for you. Maybe salaries are different in Wisconsin, but it'd be mighty tough to justify taking time off from work for that sort of payback, around here!

Take half a day off from work.
And get stuck in rush hour traffic, no way in hell lol.
He can only haul $100 worth of logs at a time on that trailer, and it's a two hour round trip before you even count the time for loading and unloading. You're looking at probably close to 4 hours per load by the time you load and unload it, so maybe $25 per hour, versus just having a log truck dump better stuff right in your yard for you. Maybe salaries are different in Wisconsin, but it'd be mighty tough to justify taking time off from work for that sort of payback, around here!
You dont think i can get more than $100.00 worth on there?. I do have access to a dump trailer but i"m saving that for when i really need some heavy hauling 12 ft long rated at 10k. I woiuld go back for a load of beech if i could get a full one, this time i would take the husky cause some of those logs longer than 16ft

New Tool
I was thinking of when I worked FT and I had many years in the schools so I had lots of time I could use like trading unused sick days for personal days 3 to 1 and I had lots of vacation time and I could carryover a years worth. I often took a day or half a day to do some work on something but I don’t know redyutes situation. I’d imagine if you don’t get much paid time off you might want to save it for a real vacation.

Oh and the weekday traffic... I didn’t even think of that since I’m in a area where there’s never any traffic lol but at one time I was. I’m not missing that sheit. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
You dont think i can get more than $100.00 worth on there?
Your trailer should have a payload rating around 5200 lb., which would be 96 cubic feet of un-seasoned beech. Most government estimates and cord calculators put a cord around 85 cubic feet of wood, so your maximum legal payload is 1.13 cords of beech. Hauling that distance, you’re going to want to not exceed the maximum legal payload.

Most folks report log truck delivery of 8 cords around $600, or $75 per cord, delivered. So, your 1.13 cord legal maximum is worth $85.

That’s an awful lot of travel and time for $85, or maybe $190 per full 8 hour day, unless it’s free time. Translation: I’d use a Saturday or extra vacation time to do this, as it’s as much about the fun as the money, for me. But I’d not be taking unpaid time from work for it. I was just giving WiscWoody a hard time, though, I know he meant salaried time off. :)

Reactions: WiscWoody
Your trailer should have a payload rating around 5200 lb., which would be 96 cubic feet of un-seasoned beech. Most government estimates and cord calculators put a cord around 85 cubic feet of wood, so your maximum legal payload is 1.13 cords of beech. Hauling that distance, you’re going to want to not exceed the maximum legal payload.

Most folks report log truck delivery of 8 cords around $600, or $75 per cord, delivered. So, your 1.13 cord legal maximum is worth $85.

That’s an awful lot of travel and time for $85, or maybe $190 per full 8 hour day, unless it’s free time. Translation: I’d use a Saturday or extra vacation time to do this, as it’s as much about the fun as the money, for me. But I’d not be taking unpaid time from work for it. I was just giving WiscWoody a hard time, though, I know he meant salaried time off. :)
Payload is 7k, i went on a day i took off weeks ago to take care of some stuff but it fell through so i just decided to take the drive just for the experience with the trailer, it was free and i had nothing to do lol, with that said i would still go back for a full load of beech lol. Something to do

Reactions: WiscWoody