New trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
The trailer we use for hauling wood is really getting to be in bad shape. On top of that, yesterday I was walking past it and noticed that I can just stick a finger through a tire and feel the tube inside. Now I have to decide whether to fix or simply get a different trailer.

Looking on the Internet I see there are not all that many available for pulling behind the atv. I'm considering the Polar trailer but am a bit scared of the poly. Because I cut wood during the cold of winter, do I have to be concerned with that thing cracking? I do like the dump because many times I haul sand and sometimes manure. I also prefer the small trailer for getting around in the woods.

I could widen our paths and use a small trailer I already have but really don't want too. One bad thing is that we have thorn apple trees all over so have to be concerned with that. If I widen the paths, that means lots of new raking to get thorns out of the way.

I'm open to suggestions.

Hi Dennis

The trailer I use around the yard originally had wheelbarrow tires on it. When they went I got atv tire and hub from northern tool and have been quite happy with them and haven't had any problems in the six years I have been using it.

While I prefer to build my own trailers I like this one form northern tool. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200377292_200377292 While it does have screen sides and bottom you could put plywood on the bottom and sides if you are hauling sand or dirt.

Billy

Hey Dennis,
is this the type you're looking for?
I use this all the time for hauling wood, leaves, brush, etc., and haven't had a problem yet. Most times I stack pretty tight and mound well over the top, but will (
when I'm feeling a little lazy) sometimes just throw the splits or rounds in. It takes the abuse very well.
It's a Brinley 17cu. ft. I got from H.D. a couple years ago.
Edit: Forgot to add that I can fit 1/3 of a 1/3 (face :ahhh:) cord in this when stacked well.

Attachments

• IMG_4547resize.jpg
    IMG_4547resize.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 747
I have a metal one and it is loud throwing wood in it. Not to mention the dents.

I would suggest the poly. I think the only weak point with the poly's are the pnumatic wheels. I would suggest getting one with solid wheels.

Attachments

• jd420 trailer.jpg
    jd420 trailer.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 737
I have a poly ( JD) 10P model and never have had any problems
use it for stone, gravel and wood
way overloaded on many occasions
came with pretty decent tires
I have a second one that is pretty flimsy though
you have to watch the quality
bought the second one used
to build something else from the parts

Here is what I use. It has removable a tailgate, dump capable, and have had zero problems with it in the last 15 or so years.

Can be used on Tractor or 4 wheeler!

http://i42.tinypic.com/nxqn15.jpg

blel, that is the trailer that I've used for the past 30 years. Looking at the prices I may go with another one. Some of the poly look pretty good as does the one from Northern (same as Cabela's). I'll probably make up my mind within a week or two as I'm not pressed for time.

hey Dennis,

I thought you put your splitter in vertical mode and it went out and found the wood for you?? Check these out (link below) It gets a touch on the cool side here in the old CA and I have never had a problem with mine. Plus the trailer is silent behind the quad (not like the rattly tin ones). The torsion axle suspension is nice too. If I can load it on, it will haul it.

http://www.otteroutdoors.com/atvtrailers.html

Which Otter do you have 'bert?

Backwoods Savage said:

Dennis, did you make a decision? I am in the market too. I like those Otter's, the shipping is a killer at over $100. Did you save they have them at Cabela's?

Like the wood I c/s/s my trailer is a scrounged unit which I have beefed up. I dream of the day when I have a dump trailer that is larger and fancier but I just keep patching this one.

Attachments

• Cord per week 2.jpg
    Cord per week 2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 391
GolfandWoodNut said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Dennis, did you make a decision? I am in the market too. I like those Otter's, the shipping is a killer at over $100. Did you save they have them at Cabela's?

Just picked it up at the Cabela Store. By driving down to Dundee I saved a bit on shipping. No ship charge so only my gas and time but I needed to go anyway so it worked out. I decided to get the Yukon trailer:

Atv trailer

Backwoods Savage said:
GolfandWoodNut said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Just picked it up at the Cabela Store. By driving down to Dundee I saved a bit on shipping. No ship charge so only my gas and time but I needed to go anyway so it worked out. I decided to get the Yukon trailer:

Atv trailer

Sav looks good, lets get that filled up then post a picture.

zap

I'll try to get that done Zap. Man, things have gotten busy around here.

Backwoods Savage said:
I'll try to get that done Zap. Man, things have gotten busy around here.

Starting to cool off here at night so my plans are hauling wood out during the week plus this weekend. Days are getting shorter so my wife had a flood light installed on the side and back of the house so I could work at night. :coolgrin:

zap

So it appears I'm not the only one noticing the shortening of daylight time. Even the weather has cooled, which was drastically needed. Still very humid though.

I had to move some old wood this afternoon so used the trailer for the first time.

Trailer-2.gif

Trailer-1.gif

That long wood makes the trailer look a bit short but I can get more rows of regular firewood in with no problem because it is only 16" that I cut (or thereabouts).

Sorry Dennis, I have not really been keeping up with the forums as much as I should, I have the one in the pic I posted. Supper X with the torsion suspension and the flotation tires. Your new trailer looks pretty good too. For others considering this trailer (the Otter) do it!

I have no affiliation with Otter other then as a owner.

Dennis, Did that trailer come wiht a 2 inch tow hitch? Or is that a lawn mower style hitch?

PapaDave said:
Forgot to add that I can fit 1/3 of a 1/3 cord in this when stacked well.

So, if you are in NY, is this a face cord? ;-)

Backwoods Savage said:
So it appears I'm not the only one noticing the shortening of daylight time. Even the weather has cooled, which was drastically needed. Still very humid though.

I had to move some old wood this afternoon so used the trailer for the first time.

Trailer-2.gif

Trailer-1.gif

That long wood makes the trailer look a bit short but I can get more rows of regular firewood in with no problem because it is only 16" that I cut (or thereabouts).

Looks good Sav, shorter days has me in the woods and hauling out all the split wood that I have because soon it will be weekends only.

zap

I like it . . . my only regret is while my "Saab" wood trailer will do the job I like the looks of this one better!

And yeah . . . definitely getting darker earlier . . . I was inside the house last night around 7:30 p.m. after cutting up and picking up a load of slabwood for kindling this year . . . or maybe it's next year . . . or the year after that. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.