new video of small fire with secondaries

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
firecracker_77 said:
Does the arm of that couch get warm? It's hard to tell, but it looks like it's right up on the stove

No it's set back from the stove and the sides of the T-5 do not get hot.. I have checked them with my IR gun and haven't seen the sides go above 200 degrees yet plus the side clearance on this stove is only something like 8" and I am way beyond that.. The Alderlea's have very good CTC specs..

Ray

Sounds good. I always get paranoid about flash fires...the idea when an object becomes superheated enough times, it doesn't take much to burst into flames. That may be a myth, but I've heard that about installations and clearances.

Never tire of seeing other peoples setups and especially vids of them in action. Bunch of pyro's we are here if ever there were any.

Very nice looking stove and nice setup.

firecracker_77 said:
Sounds good. I always get paranoid about flash fires...the idea when an object becomes superheated enough times, it doesn't take much to burst into flames. That may be a myth, but I've heard that about installations and clearances.

Not a myth . . . but not quite right . . . usually the combustible is quite a bit closer to the heat source than a piece of furniture located several feet away . . . more often where I see this is when a wood framing member is right up against an old chimney . . . my mind is shot right now . . . cannot remember the right word . . . I was thinking pyrolysis . . . but that may not be right . . . Steve? Coldbrook? Anyone smarter than me right now remember the term?

WoodpileOCD said:
Never tire of seeing other peoples setups and especially vids of them in action. Bunch of pyro's we are here if ever there were any.

Very nice looking stove and nice setup.

Thanx woodpile! I enjoy the pics and video's myself.. The hearth was a challenge because I haven't seen another chimney setup like mine.. Never realized how unusual it is and the part I stressed over the most was actually pretty easy and that was blending the tile hearth to the rock chimney which I did with concrete vinyl patch..

Ray

I just checked the part of the couch closest to the stove which is close to 2' away and it's 80 degrees.. The warmest place is the floor in front of the stove and it isn't hot.. The floor under the stove stays cool and the stone behind the stove barely gets to 100..

Ray

firefighterjake said:
firecracker_77 said:

Not a myth . . . but not quite right . . . usually the combustible is quite a bit closer to the heat source than a piece of furniture located several feet away . . . more often where I see this is when a wood framing member is right up against an old chimney . . . my mind is shot right now . . . cannot remember the right word . . . I was thinking pyrolysis . . . but that may not be right . . . Steve? Coldbrook? Anyone smarter than me right now remember the term?

I e-mailed someone a lot smarter than me . . . the term I was thinking of is phyphoric carbonization.

firefighterjake said:
firefighterjake said:
firecracker_77 said:

I e-mailed someone a lot smarter than me . . . the term I was thinking of is phyphoric carbonization.

I'm sorry you Jake have to speak English here.. :)

Ray

raybonz said:
firefighterjake said:
firefighterjake said:
firecracker_77 said:

I'm sorry you Jake have to speak English here.. :)

Ray

Hehheh . . . reminds me of the time when one of our older firefighters was giving a tour to a bunch of pre-schoolers . . .

"And this is the two-stage Waterous pump. We can easily put out 200 gpm on this 2 and a half for the guys on the inside and . . ."
Of course all the kids wanted to do was know if they could sit in the cab.

Status
Not open for further replies.