New wood hauler......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzy73

Burning Hunk
Jan 31, 2008
ON, Canada
Finally upgraded to a HD trailer. Previous trailer was light duty and always had to do multiple trips when scrounging for wood.

Took a little elbow grease but it turned out great.
1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

that is one fine wood hauler ozzy.

really nice work. do i see chrome wheels in the last shot?

Thats a nice job, Id love to come across something like that.

Very nice looking & a great use of "elbow grease"
Good job!
Looks like a 3500 lb Gross Weight trailer?
I have a single axle (3500 rated) that holds more wood than the weight rating.
Tip #1: Don't fill it full the first few trips, wood weight is deceiving
Tip#2: load the front heavier than the rear so you have plenty of tongue weight & it don't "fish tail" on you.
Tip#3 : a few trip light loaded to get a feel for how it pulls.

Great addition to your wood processing ;)

You oughtta be able to load that girl up pretty good. You may have to upgrade those springs in the near future, with the size of those sideboards!

Thanks for the input guys.

Yes it is a 3500 lb Gross Weight trailer. Got a great deal on the galvanized rims/tire combo.
The floor is all pressure treated 2x12's and plywood is only 1/2 ". I tried not to make the trailer to heavy since we only have one vehicle with a hitch and it is a Pontiac Montana SV6 ( 3500 lbs tow rating ).

Will see how it does with a few test runs of Mulch and Gravel before we haul some wood.

Did you sandblast it all down??? It'd take forever with a wire wheel and grinding discs. Looks great, and I like the angled extra support arm on the tongue!!

It took me quite a few days with the wirebrush and flapper discs but it turned out pretty good.
I also looked into sandblasting it but it would have cost quite a bit to have it done.
Took the tailgate out, 3' high x 4' wide piece of plywood slides right in.

Wife and I picked up a yard of screenings which weighed approx 3000lbs and trailer handled great with the weight. The Chevy montana groaned a little but got us home.

Status
Not open for further replies.