New wood stove not putting out enough heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My door is closed before the wood chars. The wood wont really want to char all over until the door is closed. I leave the door unlatched only until the stove is engulfed in flames. Then close and wait until wood chars before turning it down only after the gauge is high in the burn range. Seems confusing I know but it becomes routine.

So let the wood char and then shut it up and close the intake to about half way?
There really is no set way to do it. Every stove will be different in every house. I load some paper or cardboard with some kindling on top. Then pack the stove full. Light it and close the door leaving it cracked until a decent fire is established. Then shut the door. Leave air open untill surface of single wall pipe is 350 or so. Then start shutting the air back. In my old house with a tall chimney I would be up to temp in 10 mins at most and I could shut the air all the way in one step. The new house with a shorter chimney takes longer and 2 steps to get the air shut back. You need to learn what works for your stove and chimney.

The following video shows one method of starting a stove. It explains the process and the air controls as well as the amount of fuel. This method works, and if you duplicate it, your stove will get hot.

Once you get a feel for the air controls, you can switch to another method which involves packing the stove with fuel and not having to touch it for hours.

This video is from the UK. There are hundreds of video on this topic.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Not sure if that is a secondary combustion air stove, but it is not the way I would recommend running an EPA stove. He is wasting a lot of heat up the flue and having to tend the stove once an hour is usually unnecessary. This video is more instructive.

Not sure if that is a secondary combustion air stove, but it is not the way I would recommend running an EPA stove. He is wasting a lot of heat up the flue and having to tend the stove once an hour is usually unnecessary. This video is more instructive.

Haha that’s a great video