New wood stove purchase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I visited the Blaze King website today. The closest dealer is 2 hours away, and they do not have a display model.

Looked up the Morso 3610 as well...... looks interesting.

I've been using the search button here on the Hearth forum's, and It's a priceless privilege.

Thank you for ALL the reply's.

I'm thinking there is left over Pumpkin Spice Angle Food cake in the refrigerator. I'm going on break for a few minutes.

Aw, you're not going to share it with us?

put the jotul 600 in my sisters house on friday...that stove is #@$!ing hot...you will probably go through more wood though...and you may have to walk around in your underwear.

Welcome, I am in same situation as you Warhorse. House is old drafty and no insulation. I have the 30NC by Englander, and I will say this thing puts out some heat. But with the condition of the house, I am always in a losing battle. My opinion, there are no stoves that are going to make that much of an improvement over what you have now (meaning heat loss). If you find a stove that advertises longer burn times, it is because the heat output is going to be less, and in your house you probably want something that is going full throttle. A pricier stove will have better efficiencies, but in that house I would be surprised to see a difference. Your best bet is to use the money you plan on spending and put it towards insulation. And then if you have extra, by all means upgrade. But I honestly don't think an upgrade is going to solve anything. Just my opinion tho.

bjkjoseph said:
put the jotul 600 in my sisters house on friday...that stove is #@$!ing hot...you will probably go through more wood though...and you may have to walk around in your underwear.

Good gosh Gertie put your pants on lol.

So WarHorse, I have to commend you on keeping a sense of humor through what can be a frustrating process. I'd also like to encourage you to be patient with the process, because in the long run, it's worth it. It seemed like a roller coaster ride for me, and I took months to find the right stove, chimney, location, dealer, etc. Many conversations, much time spent on this site (didn't know about the forums at first, but I read just about every stinkin' review on every stove out there!)

I have the Mansfield's younger sibling, the Hearthstone heating (as I think I mentioned above) a 2Ksf house. I was in the stove store a few days ago, and noticed that the price of the stove has gone up $500 since I bought a few years back! I also took advantage of the tax credit, and was able to get the stove, installation, and chimney for around $3500. I think I've just about passed the break-even point on that purchase in my fuel savings. I am heating completely with wood, and live outside of Fairbanks, Alaska.

When I was house-shopping I passed up newer and more conveniently-located houses to buy this one (also a long frustrating process). One of my friends ended up getting a house that was on my short list. I passed because of the beautiful cathedral ceilings and loft bedroom; she bought because of the same. They were paying $700 a month to heat the place that first winter, and the house was smaller than mine. The experience I've had with this place has made me something of a nut on the subject of construction details and insulation, so please understand if I seem to obsess about that.

I completely understand what it means to live within a budget, but there are some creative solutions that you might be able to pull off without breaking the bank. Good idea getting the windows sealed--that can make a lot of difference.

You said you had wood floors, and dirt underneath. Would it be possible to put some kind of breathable membrane (like Typar road fabric) along the bottom of the floor joists, and blow them full of cellulose insulation? I think getting a warm floor would make a heck of a difference. Another option would be to put rigid styrofoam down there, but that costs more, I think, and could be pretty hard to wriggle around down there with that. You didn't mention what you have in the ceiling for insulation, but `good boots and a good hat' are critical to a good house.

If straw bales are cheap where you live, banking around the floor of the house with them can also help a lot. It might be a bit of a mess in the spring, but sometimes you just have to deal with that when the time comes.

Keep an eye on Craigslist, and continue to educate yourself about stoves so that if you see a good deal, you can act fast. I saw someone on CL last year selling a brand new BKK for $600 because his wife wanted something prettier. (I mentioned that on here, and a few folks thought that he out to keep the stove and trade the wife in. <g>) Someone got lucky that day, but it was because they knew their stoves and what they wanted, and moved on it immediately. Ad was gone in a day. Here's a Palladian in Manhattan, KS for a good price: http://topeka.craigslist.org/grd/2747674710.html

Check out the Hearthstone Equinox. That one takes an 8" pipe, and is one heatin' honker. We have a member that posts here frequently that picked up one used, IIRC, for about $2000. It's in beautiful shape.

Check out the Woodstock stoves. They are having a heck of a sale on their Fireviews. They also sell refurbished stoves.

Look into low-income weatherization programs. Some of them have extremely generous income guidelines, and that can really help. No matter how good a stove you have, you're going to want to put it in a well-insulated envelope. (I find that `Forum' cartoon at the top of the page in this site painful to look at. I keep wanting them to put the damned fire inside of a shelter!)

Do give some serious thought to planting some trees that will help break the prairie wind.

Keep your eye on the for-sale section on hearth.com.

More than anything, just hang in there. This is a good place to find support on the journey, and the patience you will find here for your questions is astonishing. Don't hesitate to ask. We hate the idea of people being cold.

ETA: Gordon and his `wiffle-ball house (cute!) hail from Nebraska, the state that gave the world the straw-bale house. I have seen descriptions of external retrofits done with strawbale that might be worth you both looking into. here's an article on it by Andrew Morrison, who I think really knows his stuff and has a heart for saving the world with straw bale housing: http://www.strawbale.com/retrofitting-a-house-with-straw-bales

bjkjoseph said:

Walking around in my boxers and T-shirt with the woodstove going . . . pretty much par for the course all winter long. :)

Yup kept the 94NC a full 2 weeks and chitcanned it,ate up more wood in 2 weeks than the King has since Sept/Dec and hardly any heat? You figure Buck stove couldn't.

snowleopard said:
So WarHorse, I have to commend you on keeping a sense of humor through what can be a frustrating process. I'd also like to encourage you to be patient with the process, because in the long run, it's worth it. It seemed like a roller coaster ride for me, and I took months to find the right stove, chimney, location, dealer, etc. Many conversations, much time spent on this site (didn't know about the forums at first, but I read just about every stinkin' review on every stove out there!)

I have the Mansfield's younger sibling, the Hearthstone heating (as I think I mentioned above) a 2Ksf house. I was in the stove store a few days ago, and noticed that the price of the stove has gone up $500 since I bought a few years back! I also took advantage of the tax credit, and was able to get the stove, installation, and chimney for around $3500. I think I've just about passed the break-even point on that purchase in my fuel savings. I am heating completely with wood, and live outside of Fairbanks, Alaska.

When I was house-shopping I passed up newer and more conveniently-located houses to buy this one (also a long frustrating process). One of my friends ended up getting a house that was on my short list. I passed because of the beautiful cathedral ceilings and loft bedroom; she bought because of the same. They were paying $700 a month to heat the place that first winter, and the house was smaller than mine. The experience I've had with this place has made me something of a nut on the subject of construction details and insulation, so please understand if I seem to obsess about that.

I completely understand what it means to live within a budget, but there are some creative solutions that you might be able to pull off without breaking the bank. Good idea getting the windows sealed--that can make a lot of difference.

You said you had wood floors, and dirt underneath. Would it be possible to put some kind of breathable membrane (like Typar road fabric) along the bottom of the floor joists, and blow them full of cellulose insulation? I think getting a warm floor would make a heck of a difference. Another option would be to put rigid styrofoam down there, but that costs more, I think, and could be pretty hard to wriggle around down there with that. You didn't mention what you have in the ceiling for insulation, but `good boots and a good hat' are critical to a good house.

If straw bales are cheap where you live, banking around the floor of the house with them can also help a lot. It might be a bit of a mess in the spring, but sometimes you just have to deal with that when the time comes.

Keep an eye on Craigslist, and continue to educate yourself about stoves so that if you see a good deal, you can act fast. I saw someone on CL last year selling a brand new BKK for $600 because his wife wanted something prettier. (I mentioned that on here, and a few folks thought that he out to keep the stove and trade the wife in. <g>) Someone got lucky that day, but it was because they knew their stoves and what they wanted, and moved on it immediately. Ad was gone in a day. Here's a Palladian in Manhattan, KS for a good price: http://topeka.craigslist.org/grd/2747674710.html

Check out the Hearthstone Equinox. That one takes an 8" pipe, and is one heatin' honker. We have a member that posts here frequently that picked up one used, IIRC, for about $2000. It's in beautiful shape.

Check out the Woodstock stoves. They are having a heck of a sale on their Fireviews. They also sell refurbished stoves.

Look into low-income weatherization programs. Some of them have extremely generous income guidelines, and that can really help. No matter how good a stove you have, you're going to want to put it in a well-insulated envelope. (I find that `Forum' cartoon at the top of the page in this site painful to look at. I keep wanting them to put the damned fire inside of a shelter!)

Do give some serious thought to planting some trees that will help break the prairie wind.

Keep your eye on the for-sale section on hearth.com.

More than anything, just hang in there. This is a good place to find support on the journey, and the patience you will find here for your questions is astonishing. Don't hesitate to ask. We hate the idea of people being cold.

ETA: Gordon and his `wiffle-ball house (cute!) hail from Nebraska, the state that gave the world the straw-bale house. I have seen descriptions of external retrofits done with strawbale that might be worth you both looking into. here's an article on it by Andrew Morrison, who I think really knows his stuff and has a heart for saving the world with straw bale housing: http://www.strawbale.com/retrofitting-a-house-with-straw-bales

As read your words I can tell you are well seasoned.

I do put hay up next to the North, and West side of my foundation. First I lay a thick layer of sheet plastic down so half is lying on the ground, and the other half is up right next to the foundation. While holding the plastic in this position I hook a square bale, and slam it down on top. Next I knee it in tight next to the foundation. The first year I did this I used twine tied square bales. Not a good idea, because the mice chewed through the twine. When spring arrived I had to pitch fork the hay into the bed of my truck in order to haul it away. Every since then I have used wire tied square bales which can be hard to find.

Installing a membrane underneath the house is a good idea. I can access about a 12 foot radius just inside my crawl space. The rest of the house I cannot access because the dirt is to close to the floor joist's. No room to crawl. Plus I hear the boogie man live's in there somewhere.

I do need to replace my stove regardless if it won't be the answer to all my heating problems. My Vermont Casting Defiant is on it's last leg.... Been a good stove, and I have worked it like a rented mule. I would replace it with another one, but I think there is a better stove out there for me.

I looked into the Morso. Have to admit looking at photo's of the Model 3610 I was quickly intrigued. BUT...the small firebox size discourages me. It's firebox is larger then my current Defiant but not by much. I'd like to look at one in person just for the heck of it, but there are no dealers here in Kansas.

Reading a couple of post's,and reviews on this website don't give me much hope in the Buck 94. I can't understand why this big stove wouldn't be a good performer????

The Englander Model 30-NC..... looks promising. I'm going to call around when I have time, and hopefully someone still has one on display. I did find time to call Englander today. The gentleman who I was directed to in Customer service was very knowledgeable. I learned that the stove is Made in the US. The steel comes from US steel companies. One such company is in the same town as Englander. I liked the gold door, and legs on one of there internet model's. But these options are no longer available.

Status
Not open for further replies.