New Wood stove user needs help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Michigan Burner

Apr 30, 2017
Muskegon Mi
I bought a house that is currently only heated with a costly propane furnace. There is already a 6" pass through on the wall behind where I believe they had a pellet stove. The hole is only 20" on center from the floor. I really want to go with a wood stove and not a pellet stove. Are there any stoves that have a rear vent that can heat my 1500sqft log cabin?

I doubt it. @begreen will be along directly I am sure.

To use your exisiting pass through 20" off the floor with cordwood you'll probably need a rear venting stove. There arent very many of those to choose from.

There are a slew of pellet stoves that can handle 1500 sf in Michigan.

One option would be to buy a couple tons of pellets now while they are on sale, grab a pellet stove that can do the job, bring in a bunch of cord wood so it can start drying - and use the money you save burning pellets with propane winter 17/18 to put in a modern chimney and cord wood stove summer 18.

First thing to check is whether the wall thimble is properly done and has the clearances needed for wood stove use.

20" is pretty low. Offhand no rear-vent wood stove comes to mind for that config. There are stoves that can heat the space, but it may take relocating the wall thimble or configuring the chimney differently. Does the current setup vent into class A chimney pipe? What is the wall thimble design and what are the clearances to combustibles?

Can you adjust the pipe so that the pass through is higher? I bet you can.
Then, you have a whole world of great wood stoves that you can use.

The thimble goes straight outside. There is a a couple feet of stone in each direction. I really wanted to avoid doing a pellet stove. Any specific manufacturers/models that may work? I attached a pic of the current setup.

Attachments

• KIMG0361.jpg
    KIMG0361.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 118
You say you home is 1500 sf, often a single stove is not called upon to heat every single sf of a home, bedrooms are often left much cooler.

If your main space to heat is 1,000 sf or so, a Jotul F100 exits a 6" flue in the rear 18 1/2" off the floor.

However, small stoves have short burn times.

Jotul has larger rear exit stoves but the height inreases with each larger model. The 1200 sf F 3CB exits at 20 5/16" with the short leg kit.

Dave

Last edited:
Given the proximity of the thimble to the corner I am wondering if this is a legit setup. 6" stove pipe has a min. 6" clearance requirement. The stone does not reduce clearances. The question comes up then at how close is the edge of the hole to the adjacent wall?

On the chance that the construction is ok, then one solution might be to remove the hearth and rebuild it at floor level. That would gain some on the flue exit height.