New wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Coolhandluke406406

Dec 12, 2017
Hamilton ohio
Hi all new to the fourm I will be purchasing a new wood stove I presently have jotul I think it is the firelight 12 it top load foot pedel I bought it as an overfire I replaced rear burn and front burn plates BTW it is cat stove . I did not replace the cat just burned it non cat. I liked the stove but the front burn plate has warped and cracked again so time to get new stove would love to know why the burn plate cracked and warped again if someone can help as I might fix it to put in my barn I guess I got it to hot but not sure .

So on with the new stove purchase I will be heating about 2000 2300 sq feet house I have been looking at the Hearthstone Manchester it is soapstone lined not sure if I like that other is the hearthstone shelburne its 1800 sq feet might be to small I live in Cincinnati Ohio get cold .

Other stove is the vc dutchwest it has been discontinued but I found one the is a leftover not sure if I can get parts if needed.

Other stove Pacific energy alderlea t6 it has steel fire box not sure if that better. So what I don't want to do is get a stove that I will crack or warped burn plates like the jotul. I have a allnighter in my barn it just has fire brick I can burn it hot will not warp and it gets very hot. So any help would be appreciated also if anyone knows of a stove pleases make a suggestion thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The T6 and Shelburne are not good comparisons. The Shelburne is a ~2 cu ft cast iron stove. The T6 is a third larger and totally different construction. If you are concerned about burn plates then get a steel stove. The T6 is a steel stove (PE Summit) at heart with a cast iron jacket. The Jotul F55 sounds like it also would work for you. It's also a cast-iron clad steel stove. No burn plates and a serious heater.

The Manchester is a good solid heater. Many love the T6, I don’t have any experience with it though.
The shelburn won’t cut it for your square footage.
All stoves can be damaged if forced too hard, steel stoves are less likely to be damaged, then iron, then soapstone. Soapstone liner is fine, I’d pass on a soapstone stove for a number reasons, fragility being the first reason..

Just how hot are you running these stoves? Do you have a thermometer on them? While steel stoves can take a lot of abuse, too hot of a fire can damage them.

Eatenbylimestone, I run jotul firelight 12 older stove at 475. Not to say I have not not got it up to 600, that is well into the red but I try not to. I know it only takes one time for overfire. Looks like the jotul f55 is a new stove, so now between t6 and jotul f55 there are other I like. will post later. The jotul I have now should get through this season i have other things to considered such as stove placement, I only have one spot so the new stove needs to go there.

Not sure if jotul f55 will fit there if it gets real hot my jotol is 14 inch from wall that meets specks I could come out 5 inch at most but flu will not be straight. Also as I sit here by my stove its is very windy outside when it gusts it comes down my stove pipe into the stove. From the top of my stove to the ceiling is 56 inches then the ceiling box then 1 section of stove pipe out on the flat roof and my stove is holding good temp. Thanks for all your help it is appreciated. BTW I do like the idea of 24 inch logs in the Manchester begreen not afraid of the burn plate, would like to learn more what to do and not to do, obviously not get it hot but what is too hot? That's the million dollar question, as I have read other old post that said stove companies are not good about giving straight answers. Guess depends on the stove.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cast iron clad stoves like the F55 and T6 in general work well in close clearance situations. The jacket acts as a heat shielding, buffering the heat from the steel stove within.

Eatenbylimestone, I run jotul firelight 12 older stove at 475. Not to say I have not not got it up to 600, that is well into the red but I try not to. I know it only takes one time for overfire. Looks like the jotul f55 is a new stove, so now between t6 and jotul f55 there are other I like. will post later. The jotul I have now should get through this season i have other things to considered such as stove placement, I only have one spot so the new stove needs to go there.

Not sure if jotul f55 will fit there if it gets real hot my jotol is 14 inch from wall that meets specks I could come out 5 inch at most but flu will not be straight. Also as I sit here by my stove its is very windy outside when it gusts it comes down my stove pipe into the stove. From the top of my stove to the ceiling is 56 inches then the ceiling box then 1 section of stove pipe out on the flat roof and my stove is holding good temp. Thanks for all your help it is appreciated. BTW I do like the idea of 24 inch logs in the Manchester begreen not afraid of the burn plate, would like to learn more what to do and not to do, obviously not get it hot but what is too hot? That's the million dollar question, as I have read other old post that said stove companies are not good about giving straight answers. Guess depends on the stove.
The F- 55 will have closer clearances than your 12. Most all new stoves will have closer clearances.

It doesn’t sound like you’ve been overfiring the 12, that rear plate is a wear item and is very prone to cracking and distorting.

Reactions: begreen
Where is your thermometer? It doesn't sound like the stove is getting hot, yet the burn plate wouldn't be bad in a year if it wasn't.