New woodburner here! Safe install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Railroader89

Dec 14, 2017
Maryland
9A41943A-0720-4E62-A901-D70EFF6EC65F.jpeg E7069546-9115-44DB-8EEF-A0A174282E56.jpeg 1A9E2385-EFC4-404D-A6DE-BFE36DF84D91.jpeg

Hello all, new woodburner here from maryland trying to get some info on the safe install of a woodstove in my kitchen.

House is circa 1908, previous owner had the stove vented into the unlined interior chimney which also had a water heater vented to it aswell (scary!). I’ve sinced moved the water heater and patched it’s vent hole with cement, and thanks to the info here, installed a flexible stainless chimney liner. My question now is how to properly install the piping from the stove as clearances are tight.

I’ve looked at “thimbles” but they seem to be for something other than my application. Maybe “class a” pipe? The previous owner used the stove for years this way, and indeed the drywall around the stove pipe does get warm (but not too warm to hold your hand on it)

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
Worthy of note, as you may not be able to tell from the pictures. the chimney is brick and currently furred out with 2x4’s and covered with drywall. Exposing the brick may be viable when it comes time for the kitchen remodel, however i’d like a somewhat temporary fix to get through the winter.

Thanks,
Nick

Is the liner insulated? You definatly need to strip combustibles away from the pipe there by allot

Reactions: Squisher
The liner is not, just the corrigated pipe. Interior chimney so i didnt feel the need to insulate. Draft is excellent as is.

-Nick
But you have combustibles in contact with the outside of the chimney when you need 2" of space which means to be safe you need to pull the liner insulate it and make sure you have no combustibles within 18" of that connector pipe.

^^ Agreed. Not safe^^ wood and drywall are too close to the connector pipe.

^^ Agreed. Not safe^^ wood and drywall are too close to the connector pipe.
I’d agree on that point however i don’t understand the need for an insulation blanket around the liner inside the chimney? The chimney measures roughly 12x12 interior diameter so there’s a significant air gap between the liner itself (6”) and the brick? Unless im missing something.

I’d agree on that point however i don’t understand the need for an insulation blanket around the liner inside the chimney? The chimney measures roughly 12x12 interior diameter so there’s a significant air gap between the liner itself (6”) and the brick? Unless im missing something.
But there is nothing keeping that liner from contacting the inside of the chimney. Code ul listing and manufacturers directions all require insulation if those clearances are not met.

And that looks like a standard 6 brick chimney which is only about 8 x 8 inside not much of a gap

But there is nothing keeping that liner from contacting the inside of the chimney. Code ul listing and manufacturers directions all require insulation if those clearances are not met.

Thank you for explaining. I’ll pull the liner. I only have 14” to ceiling, it seems i”ll need something other than single wall pipe to connect the stove to the chimney in this case.

-nick

Thank you for explaining. I’ll pull the liner. I only have 14” to ceiling, it seems i”ll need something other than single wall pipe to connect the stove to the chimney in this case.

-nick
You can sheild the pipe move the crock down or get double wall connector pipe. All will work to fix the ceiling clearance

Which brings the question of whether it’s worth keeping the stove at all, as this was always a money saving endeavor from the beginning.

You've gotten lots of good advice so far. Only you can decide the breaking point of return on investment for whether wood heat is worthwhile to you.

as this was always a money saving endeavor from the beginning.

i've heard this line from a few of the friends i've helped to install their stoves. the truth is that installing a stove is not cheap and it's not really where you want to try and cut things out to save $$ you are literally playing with fire. yes buying fuel for the stove can be cheaper next year but the initial install to do it right the first time is worth every penny, especially if other people live in the house with you.