New Year's Day score !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakeside

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
Mike's World
Happy New Year all !

Thanks to the continuing war on tree's here in CT , I was able to score two pick-up loads New year's Day.
The woods were down on the ground and lucky for me straight as telephone poles too. There is a good mix of Ash, Black Birch and Maple or Oak. I am not sure on the Oak or Maple and I also grabbed some other interesting stuff. It looked like a good hard wood so I add it to the stack ( see picture Two).

Is the picture One Oak or Maple ? What about picture Two , it is only 4-5 inches ,any idea what this is ?

All the Best to you !

oak-maple.jpg Quest_wood-01-01-15.jpg 01-01-15_front.jpg

Attachments

• firewood_helper.jpg
    firewood_helper.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 149
Your helper looks quite content

Claydog ,

As for them both being Oak , it is the smaller stuff with the irregular shapes shape that I do not know the type .

our helper looks quite content
This little guy can turn into Dennis the Razor teeth demoned in a heart beat. But it's all good , for Christmas he gave his Daddy a full point.

Reactions: D8Chumley
In picture 2, The long skinny one with the smooth fluted bark looks like Blue beech or Ironwood. The flaky bark thing in pic #1 might be white oak(wrong heartwood for maple) and the other stuff, black birch and ash, in pic #3.

Reactions: Lakeside
Picture 1 and 2 both pieces of wood have medullary rays which I've learned from this site means it's oak.

Reactions: Lakeside
Status
Not open for further replies.