Newb question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D8Chumley

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2013
Collegeville PA
I've seen some terms that I'd like to know if someone could define them for me. 2 in particular- what is a face cord and what is fat wood ? I feel sheepish asking but I haven't been able to figure them out on my own. There might be more but just these 2 for now. Thanks guys!

Fatwood is wood which has lot of resins in it that's cut down like kindling that works well as a fire starter.....

http://www.amazon.com/Fatwood-Firestarter-9935-Fireplace-35-Pound/dp/B00CGTTK68/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396216754&sr=8-2&keywords=fat wood

images

A face cord is a stack of wood that is 4foot high by 8foot wide by whatever length you like, 15 inches, 16, 18, 24, etc. Around here, a face cord is generally understood to be 1/3 of a cord, so it would be 4footx8footx16inches for the length of the splits.

Have fun

Reactions: NordicSplitter
Thanks pen. I've seen pine referred to as fat wood, makes sense

As pen mentioned, a face cord can be any length of wood that is 4 feet by 8 feet. Beware if you are buying any face cords for that reason. Sellers are not supposed to sell wood in anything but true cords in most states, but some still do.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Fat wood is a premier fire starter, IMHO. Those super cedars are better, but fat wood is cheaper and works good enough to start a fire, use just need to see what your doing and it will get done...a face cord is 8x4, I will send you a picture to show you.....image.jpgthis is a face cord......
Any other questions? Just ask away.....

Believe it or not...One of the very best starters I have found and have used is Match Light Charcoal. I take 2 pieces and place them strategically, light them and flame on...A 10 lb bag is only $6.97 at Walmart.

Fatwood is made from the resin heavy stumps of pine trees. Got a pine stump around, make your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.