Newb wanting opinion of Englander 24-fc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justme

Jun 5, 2008
Southwest MI
We are looking at getting a wood stove to cut down on the heating bills. I have been lurking for a while trying to learn a little about wood stoves. I see that many people really like the Englander brand of stoves. I saw an ad on Craigslist for an Englander 24-fc. He says it is 3-4 years old. I don't see much info on these forums about this model and it doesn't look like they make them anymore. I am hoping that someone can give me an opinion on them. Also, it is a blue/aqua color. Did Englander make stoves in colors other than black? Thanks for any help.

I'm in the same boat, I have a coworker selling his never before used 24-fc he bought on clearance several years ago. Haven't found much info myself on this model, but have been informed by a few members of this forum that Englander makes a decent stove.

You may have already found this link to the stove manual, just in case here it is www.englanderstoves.com/manuals.html

After reading through the manual I'm thinking I may not go with a stove that has a catalytic combuster but I'm still thinking about it

I'm new to this wood burning thing, just moved into this house that has an old Fisher that I"m looking to replace. I'm down to the 24-fc or Country Flame Ovation 3000. Which I can also get a really good deal on through another source.

Mind if I ask how much the Craiglist post is asking for the 24-fc?

He is asking $800 but that includes all the triple wall pipe, ash fan, heat reclaimer, hearth, shovel, thermometer and more. He says he has burned less than one cord in the last 3 years.

Seems fair. I'm looking at $500 but that's just the stove.

Considering you can get a new stove for about $800 I would pass. The added value of the pipe is something, but so is having a new stove to start with.

the 24-fc was a catalytic radient room heater , about 2.5CF firebox, no blower , nor is there an adaptation for one to be added. the unit was built up through 2004. it was rated at up to 1600 sq ft. the unit itself sold new in stores at about $650-$700 (i do not remember actual MSRP but i am close anyway)

if the unit you are looking at does have a blower and header system it is not an fc but an "acd" which is a 2200 sq ft design with the same firebox but an internal header system for the blower. it sold for about $ 800 (ish)

as for the color , the unit has been charcoal gray from 1992 through 2003 with some exceptions we built black ones for lowes with nickle trim for a couple years in the early 80's and we built a "forest green" for Quality farm and fleet in the late 90's

overall it was a decent unit personally i liked the acd better due to the blower but its a solid unit. if you do go with this unit i strongly recommend NOT using the heat reclaimer the unit likes a strong draw and the reclaimer would take away from that IMHO they should never be used on an EPA reburn unit, especially a cat stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.