Newbie and Installing VC stove - used, Q's with vent pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vtekm

Nov 4, 2008
Killington VT
Hi all,
New at wood stoves but almost have the stove installed. I pick up a VC Acclaim used and have the stove in place, metal asbestos chimney installed...now just trying to connect the stove without spending major bucks on piping.

The stove is a corner installation and the pipe is about 18" from the wall. Once I get to the ceiling, I have 12" of clearance (to the ceiling as it runs horizontal) going out the side of the house and then up. The horizontal insulated pipe is 3' sloping toward chimney. I picked up a vent kit from Lowes with double wall pipe (made by superpipe) which has 2 x3' sections, 1 -1' adjustable section, stove adapter, elbow and tranistion piece to asbestos pipe.

So, questions are do I need double wall pipe elbow to drop down since I have 12" clearance to ceiling? My thought was to use double wall in the elbow and then convert to single wall pipe since I'll be past 18" after the elbow. Can I mix the two? Other option is the cut apart the 3' pipe and try to use the 12" adjustable section to make my own 2.5' adjustable section. I don't know if this will work.

I hope my description is clear but will attempt to attach a few photos.
Comments? Suggestions?
Thanks....Ed

I think you do need the double wall elbow. I think your idea of cutting the 3' might work if the half of the adjustable section will slide into it. I'd try to take some careful measurements of the diameters before cutting. I guess you've got nothing to loose by trying it since you likely can't return only the 3' piece from the kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.