Newbie chimney cleaning question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanH0802

Nov 29, 2015
Collins, Iowa
My girlfriend and I just installed her grandmas old wood stove. Its a Century something. We haven't been able to find an exact model number on it, just a sticker on the back about the clearance requirements. We have been using the stove for a month now and I'm gonna be cleaning the chimney soon. My question is, ours has a secondary burn chamber above the firebox. There is a steel plate inside the stove with holes in it. Does that have to come out to sweep the chimney? Can it even be removed? I'm guessing that I will have to sweep the chimney from the top down. Another question is, we installed a heat reclaimer above the stove about a foot above the stove to help recover some of the heat. That has tubes that run thru the middle of the chimney so I will only be able to sweep the chimney to that point with out taking the flue pipe apart. So I guess I have several questions here lol...

First without knowing the stove we cant tell you if or how the baffle comes out. Post some pics and we may be able to help. If it does not come out you will have to pull the pipe and clean off the baffle from the top. Next take that heat reclaimer out and throw it in the trash it has no place on any wood stove but absolutely not on a clean burn one.

Take a look again and see if there is a model number on the clearances sticker. On some Century models you can remove the baffle bricks for cleaning. The heat reclaimer should go. It is not needed or helpful to rob heat from the flue. That spoils draft and lowers the flue gas temps which leads to creosote accumulation. It can also hinder efficient stove operation.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures IMG_0487.JPG IMG_0487.JPG IMG_0426.JPG IMG_0562.JPG IMG_0563.JPG IMG_0564.JPG IMG_0569.JPG

The temp gauge isn't above the heat reclaimer anymore

It's a Haugh/Century S131e I think.

Reactions: RyanH0802
Old stove. Google? eBay?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.