Newbie! Dumb Questions Galore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John3

Sep 26, 2008
Upstate NY
Howdy,

Just ordered a Keystoker Koker coal furnace for our cellar.. The way the market is, we should have it in Jan. Currently have our oil furnace vented into an unlined chimney. Checked it recently, and there was NOTHING inside as far as soot etc. The coal unit can be either vented into a chimney or power vented. I do believe it is not a good idea to vent both units into a single chimney. ANY info regarding the correct way to do this would be greatly appreciated!

We also plan to run the heat duct from the coal stove and tap into our existing ducting for the oil furnace.. Hopefully we will NOT be using the oil stove at all.. $4.79 a gal. smarts!!

Thanks,
John

Code prohibits connecting two units to the same chimney.

You said "unlined chimney". Do you really mean that? Not even clay lined? I'm not familiar with the unit you are getting but I think you have some serious research to do before connecting it up.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.