Newbie flue pipe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeromehdmc

Hearth Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
Kansas City
I just bought a new stove, Scan Anderson 10, and I'm wanting to hook it up. The current flue pipe is hooked up really good, the only problem is it is 8" and the stove has a 6" outlet. Can I run 6" either double or single wall about 3 1/2 to 4 feet from the stove and then jump up to 8" at the ceiling? Thanks in advance for the help.

I have the same thing, 15' or so of 8" thru roof and just below celing. I have a Avalon Olympic that is a 6". I ran the 6" up to the celing and then increased it to 8". It has been running with no problems at all. I spoke with the supplier of the Avalon and he said it would not be an issue, and so far so good....

Reactions: UrbanBrnr
jeromehdmc said:
I just bought a new stove, Scan Anderson 10, and I'm wanting to hook it up. The current flue pipe is hooked up really good, the only problem is it is 8" and the stove has a 6" outlet. Can I run 6" either double or single wall about 3 1/2 to 4 feet from the stove and then jump up to 8" at the ceiling? Thanks in advance for the help.

That should work. How much pipe is there from the ceiling to the cap? If only 6-8 ft. consider using double-wall connector to the ceiling connection. If it's more like 18' then use what suit your fancy as long as clearance are correct.

Reactions: UrbanBrnr
I've got about 6 feet of Preway type A chimney from the ceiling to the cap. BeGreen, me being new to all this, why should I use double wall? Does it help with the draft?

BeGreen said:
...If only 6-8 ft. consider using double-wall connector to the ceiling connection. If it's more like 18' then use what suit your fancy as long as clearance are correct.

Seems to me that maybe BeGreen got just a bit dyslexic here. If it's a relatively short (6'-8') run of connector pipe (stovepipe) from appliance flue collar to the transition to Class A chimney, then single-wall is fine, or double-wall, if you prefer. If it's a long vertical run (say >12'), then double-wall would be the better choice to ensure the flue gas stream remains hot during its run up to daylight. In either case, the required clearances from the pipe to combustibles must be met. Rick

Not dyslexic, that's a sperate issue :), just incomplete. The point being, if it's a short total flue run, ie: 6' inside and 6' outside, use double-wall connector pipe to keep the flue gases as hot as possible. If the total run is >18 ft, there will be sufficient draft for the single wall pipe.

Yup. Got it. Dunno enough about the system yet. Rick

Thanks for the info. I was kind of leaning towards using double wall pipe anyway. Looks like it's time to get to work putting it in and getting some more wood for next year. I think this is gonna be alot of fun.

Sounds good. Can you fill us in on the particulars? How much 8" flue is there from the ceiling until the cap?

About 6 feet of 8" Type A made by Preway. It is in very good condition and the installation is real good. We are going to cover the wall the stove sits against with some man made stone probably stacked stone design. Then behind the stove and up the wall behind the pipe I am going to put up an aluminum sheet for a heat block. I'd like to have a friend take a grinder and scuff some flames on it to make it look different.

You sure the preway pipe is not an air cooled prefab system? I have never heard of preway class A pipe, just their junk prefab ZC units and air cooled pipe.

I'm not sure what an air cooled pipe is. It has type A chimney and a UL listing number stamped into it.

Sounds like it might be OK then. Is the UL listing Type 103? Thats what you need.

Air cooled pipe would be double or triple wall and all the extra walls would have air flowing through them, no insulation wraps.

Status
Not open for further replies.