Newbie ? for catalytic stove users

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hookspacken

Hearth Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Troy, NY
Have a new Dutchwest Cat stove, small model. The manual is a bit vague as to the operation of the cat. How does the cat air control effect the catalyst operation? How far open do you normally run the cat air? What if it is open too far or too little, what are the effects?

ican describe what I do with both My Vermont castings stove, that have thermatically seccondary air control. The principle is the same as the Ever burn technology down draft the smoke over

the hot coals then into the secondary combustion chamber. In my case that chamber has a cat combustor.

I do what all do establish a good bed of coals then load it up somethime completely other times 3 more decent splits surface top temp is above 500 better to be 600

I wait 20 minutes +- then I may add another two splits and wait again till they get established in the burn cycle. Some where aronud 600 degrees griddle top temp,

I damper it down into secondary Cat combustor mode. About 20 minutes later I will check the stove top Temp again and if it is 500 to 650 I leave the primary air setting alone usually it is set

less than 1/2 probably closer to 1/4 open. One has to make adjustments due to difgferent wood and moisture content.. Same thing we all have to do. This is my final adjustment if necessary.

From that point forward, the cat combustor and the thermatic secondary supply takes over trying to mantain this temperature as long as possible.

hookspacken said:
Have a new Dutchwest Cat stove, small model. The manual is a bit vague as to the operation of the cat. How does the cat air control effect the catalyst operation? How far open do you normally run the cat air? What if it is open too far or too little, what are the effects?

It's going to take some trial and error to find your sweet spot for your stove. After you have established a coal bed and insert more splits, burn your stove with the bypass open and alot of air. After about ten minutes or you establish light off temp close the bypass and adjust the air til you see flames dancing on top of the wood. It may look like it is going to go out at first but it will fire back up. Cats need the smoke to pass through slowly for your most efficient burn, so just give it enough to get those slow lazy flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.