Newbie - help. WIFI possible for Comfortbilt pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Don't have my stove installed so can't test yet. My first guess would be for the pinout to be the same as on the wifi board. If no-one here posts it by the time I need to install it, I will take a multimeter and search for the ground and +5v pair. After that its a 50% chance to get RX and TX right.....

You mentioned in another post that we could use an external thermostat and mentioned a " wire coming out of the motherboard". Which wire is that do you recall?

Thanks.

sorry I'm not good at using this site. but thanks for your help I do have multi meeter I'll give it a try not too good at using that and I'm so busy. I'm upset wish this was better. I even bought the nest thermostat and the wire that the tech gave me but don't have time to try it'. tech support is pretty good. just not for the wifi. if anyone wants to make.me.a wire and or chip that works.ill buy it haha

Screenshot_20220131-212527.jpg

Thanks, that explains it. Didn't think of looking on the main circuit board.

I will hopefully be able to install the stove next weekend and will take a look at the cabling. From what I see, the board connector is a XH 2.54 and the WIFI chip has a PH 2.0 connector. If you are still looking by the time I figure it out and I find extra parts in my e-junk boxes, happy to make you a cable and send it over.

For the record of others looking, the inner circuit board "level" connector seems to be a 2pin XH 2.54. Based on the explanations above this should work with any battery powered thermostats. Just connect that connector to the W/Rh outputs of a thermostat.

Thanks, that explains it. Didn't think of looking on the main circuit board.

I will hopefully be able to install the stove next weekend and will take a look at the cabling. From what I see, the board connector is a XH 2.54 and the WIFI chip has a PH 2.0 connector. If you are still looking by the time I figure it out and I find extra parts in my e-junk boxes, happy to make you a cable and send it over.
thank you I actually bought a kit that lets me put male and female flugs on it and crimp it. that way I can have ends on it and try to figure out what way it goes.

I hacked errr... soldered the module in. The pictures show the polarity and TX/RX.
Awesome soldering job :) Thanks for the pinout, will come in handy this weekend.

One more thing we might need to take a look at is the firmware of that WIFI board. I think I remember seeing some Chinese language on one of the screenshots in this thread....

ughhhh?!!! wasted all this time!!!
the tuya app says the wifi device has to be blinking. does this chip have a led light on it.?

I want this to work so bad! my whole house is smart. not very good at this stuff. wtf!!! super frustrated.

do you have to shut stove off ? I have done wifi reset

After you perform a WiFi reset on the stove menu open up the app on your cell phone. It took me a few times to get it.

Struggling as well. I think I wired it right (below) but am getting nowhere. D1 LED never comes on (might have seen it briefly come on once during all my tests) and no devices show up in the Tuya or Smart Life app.

Here is what I have been trying to do over and over:
1. Trigger the wifi reset - two beeps
2. Open the Tuya app and select add device
3. Wait for nothing to be found

Tried to trigger manual joining using the button but the LED never comes on in any scenario.

Anyone have any idea of what to try?

Found a detailed article on how to flash the TYJW2S to tasmota as a first step to hopefully integrate it with Hubitat

PXL_20220207_231513251.jpg

Bluetooth is required to be on during the pairing process. Do you see the device in your Bluetooth pairing list that looks like this?

Untitled.png

Bluetooth is required to be on during the pairing process. Do you see the device in your Bluetooth pairing list that looks like this?

View attachment 291783

Thanks so much for that tip! At least I know the module is doing something. Bluetooth is enabled and at total random times I do see the device called TY. Once, only once, I briefly saw an ihoment one. TY eventually comes on after I fiddle around a bunch and then is always there....the other one I have no idea what made it appear and then disappear again.

Does the ihoment appear for you right after you trigger the WiFi reset on the stove? I am perplexed as to what exactly that reset does.

The more I look into it the more I think it has to do with the firmware of the tuya device. We had one of the members here recognize theirs as a dehumidifier - likely that chip came out of one. Yours identifies as ihoment, likely it came out of one of their products.
Burnout409 and I bought it directly from Tuya and likely that firmware doesn't play nice.
I will look around to see if I can find any other firmware version. If all breaks I will try to flash the Tasmota version directly to see if at least I can pair it.

Making progress. Flashed Tasmota, connected and am able to turn the stove on and off. Will work on identifying the config for the other features.

This will not allow pairing with the official Tuya app but will allow us to integrate with things like Hubitat for home automation.

Screenshot_20220209-182542.png

Found out my problem was due to faulty wiring on the rx line which made some things work and others not. Once fixed, the chip started pairing fine with the Tuya app.

A few things I found out:
- The wifi chip does passthrough communication, it's firmware doesnt matter
- The Chinese characters in the Tuya app are part of the stove firmware itself , not the wifi chip
- Tasmota works great on the chip
- Tasmota integration with Hubitat is terrible - for now I am using http commands on a virtual switch to control the stove
- Been playing with a cloud integration that is promising but will require a custom driver (https://community.hubitat.com/t/beta-tuya-cloud-driver-limited-device-support/80627)

For those that play around with Tasmota, here is my config:
TuyaMCU type, RX on GPIO13 and TX on GPIO15
Backlog TuyaMCU 11,1; TuyaMCU 71,3; TuyaMCU 61,101; TempRes 0; SetOption8 1; TuyaEnumlist 1,4;

Http commands to control stove:
Read Level
Set Level 1
Set Level 5
Turn Stove Off
Turn Stove On
Read Power Status

Reactions: suroot
Are you using the Tuya Smart app to bind?
Yes the Tuya smart app my stove has Wi-Fi symbol flashing
You said something about wrong connect made your not work I followed pictures off here should I play with it? Or is flashing mean it is in pairing mode? I have learned tasmota and going to try to flash chip but I would like this to work so I know when stove is on and off