Newbie here! My vent Pipe seems way to hot on my Empress FS stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

insuranceman1

Nov 4, 2008
MD
Hi I am learning a lot about pellet stoves here. Thanks so much for a great forum.

I just had my new Empress FS pellet stove installed. Heats my home great but I am a little worried about the temp of the vent pipe off of the back of the stove. The wall thimble even seems pretty warm to the touch in the center but the outside is not that warm. I have called the dealer and he checked with the manufacture of the stove regarding this and he has assured me that it is fine. I have the double walled vent pipe and going out the wall with a 45 then on the outside of the house I have a T and go up 3 foot with another 90 and term cap. My pipe off of the back of the stove has a temp of 172 degrees F on setting 4. I took this reading with a bbq thermometer. The dealer told me that the stove will automaticaly shut down saftey device at 200 F. The outside pipe is not near as hot but still seems pretty hot. I do not know what could be wrong? Could the air damper setting be wrong? Should the outside of my pipe off the back of my stove be this hot? I am a little worried about leaving this stove on unattended. Thanks for any help in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.