Newbie here ... question regarding Wool Hearth Rug

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boozie

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2010
SW IN
I'm having a wood insert put in my fireplace next week. From my old Safety Department days (Secretary), I was always under the impression that wool was a great fire retardant. When I mentioned to the salesperson today that I had purchased a wool rug for in front of the hearth, he said "no, it would catch fire", that I needed "a fire-retardant or fiberglass rug". My hearth is 17" wide and 12" high. What is best makeup for hearth rug? Thank you.

Babs

Fiberglass would be best. But I have been looking at the little tags on hearth rugs for eons and the fine print always says that it just meets the same fire retardant standards as the carpet on your floors. Meaning it smolders and melts and lets the stuff smolder and melt the carpet under it.

Status
Not open for further replies.