newbie here saying Hi..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhwoodburner

Hearth Supporter
Dec 15, 2008
Epsom NH
just joined the forum.i'm also new to wood burning also (so i'll have some questions soon...)
woodstove.jpg

saw the name Trolla on the door.didn't see what model though..
this is the wood stove that's in the 1 bdrm apt that i'm moving into.there's also a wall mounted propane heater that is meant for the main heat source but am thinking of getting by with just wood(depending on how cold it gets on the Farm..)

major concerns are burning during the nights(work nights and no-one will be home,except landlady that lives in rest of the farm house) and that rug that's under the stove..

I had a stove similar to that where I used to live and it did pretty good at heating most of the 3 bedroom two story house. A heat reclaimer will do wonders for drawing heat also.

4wydnr said:
I had a stove similar to that where I used to live and it did pretty good at heating most of the 3 bedroom two story house. A heat reclaimer will do wonders for drawing heat also.

4wydnr, welcome to the forum.

If you do a search, you will find much information about those heat reclaimers...and very little positive about them. The problem is stealing heat from the flue and then you lose draft and get all sorts of creosote problems. I've known several people who loved them when they first put them in but soon came to hate them. Especially those who did not have much wood on hand (and on hand was unseasoned).

Especially with the newer stoves which burn much more efficiently. If you rob heat from the flue you will have problems. For example, the temperature gauge on our pipe is usually from 250-300. I'd hate to run it any lower for sure. But because we have a cat. stove, we aren't getting creosote now with these temperature. We never even cleaned the chimney last year (new SS chimney). That's called burning clean.

We had it on a similar style stove that wasn't very efficient worked great for the two seasons we used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.