Newbie in NH...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastfaller

Jun 16, 2015
Hopkinton, NH
Hello everyone,

Bought a house in NH (finally) and will be up there full time starting in Aug. My first order of business is getting my chimney rebuilt above the roofline and lining two of my flues. (My furnace flue's clay lining is collapsed) I am eyeing a Jotul F500, but I am a long way from having it installed. My hearth is miniature as well as a few other issues. In the meantime, I think I am going to start buying wood since I have read it takes years to season...
Anyway, wanted to say HI... I have been lurking on the site for a while... figured I would finally pull the trigger and create an acct.

Chris.

Getting your wood put up now is a good call. What sqft are you trying to heat? How well insulated? Details, Man. Details!;);lol

Welcome to the forums! Always nice to see new wood burners.

As Jags mentioned, try getting your wood setup now. Wood takes several months to a few years to season properly for EPA stoves (harder the wood the longer it takes to season properly).

Pictures are always welcomed and appreciated!

Welcome Chris

Andrew

The house is about 2200 sq ft.... 7'6" ceilings though.
The attic need some serious insulation but the walls are good. The bad is the original 1960 single pain windows. I am trying to figure out how to work new windows in to the budget, but I think for a couple yrs it will just be plastic over the windows.

The pic is a bit grainy, but her is a shot of the hearth... it only comes out like to rows of brick. Add to that it is a shallow and short fireplace. So on the jotul I will need the short leg kit probably.
Working with a mason now who may cut the wood floor back and match brick to my current hearth.

Newbie in NH...

Welcome to the forum!

I would look for a larger stove than the F500 for that size house. Maybe the Woodstock Progress Hybrid would fit with the short leg kit? What's the height of the fireplace opening? What are you planning to do with the hearth?

Try to find ash and softwoods like pine. Those dry relatively quickly (although getting them ready for this winter will still be a challenge).

Welcome to the forum!

I would look for a larger stove than the F500 for that size house. Maybe the Woodstock Progress Hybrid would fit with the short leg kit? What's the height of the fireplace opening? What are you planning to do with the hearth?

Try to find ash and softwoods like pine. Those dry relatively quickly (although getting them ready for this winter will still be a challenge).

I didn't think you cold use softwoods in a stove....
Anyway, I don't plan to burn much wood this winter (mostly oil) because I wont have enough stock. When I bought the house the Garage had about a chord of very old hardwood stacked. The house was vacant for 2+ yrs. So this winter I will burn that on weekends while we are all home.

Well the mason fixing the chimney thinks he can extends the hearth out a couple feet. But I really don't know what sort of R value is needed or what type of R value Brick and the underlayment have.

I think my fireplace opening was about 28.5" I will have to remeasure.

Start getting wood split and put aside now. Especially if it is hardwood. Good choice on the Jotul Oslo. I have one and it does a good job of heating my 3200SqFT home in MA. It is very well insulated. Also you can burn softwood and did about a cord and a half of white pine last year. Good luck

Start getting wood split and put aside now. Especially if it is hardwood. Good choice on the Jotul Oslo. I have one and it does a good job of heating my 3200SqFT home in MA. It is very well insulated. Also you can burn softwood and did about a cord and a half of white pine last year. Good luck

If you don't mind me asking.... What did you pay for your Oslo?
I cant find prices to compare anywhere.

The bad is the original 1960 single pane windows. I am trying to figure out how to work new windows in to the budget, but I think for a couple yrs it will just be plastic over the windows.

View attachment 158880

http://www.arttec.net/Thermal-Windows/index.html
Even with old worn out triple track storms I've made a few of those interior storms for a couple windows. They are worth the effort for a second layer of film and a extra airspace.

As long as they are seasoned ......

The "don't burn pine"-myth. As long as it is dry it will burn just fine. Just make sure to change a bit the air adjustment to not overfire the stove as pine burns fast and hot. I recommend top covering while seasoning the wood.
Well the mason fixing the chimney thinks he can extends the hearth out a couple feet. But I really don't know what sort of R value is needed or what type of R value Brick and the underlayment have.

It depends on the stove. Many modern stoves only need a non-combustible surface. With a r-value of 2 you will have the most flexibility.
I think my fireplace opening was about 28.5" I will have to remeasure.

That should work for the Progress and the Woodstock Ideal Steel. I don't remember any other large stove that would fit, though.

If you don't mind me asking.... What did you pay for your Oslo?
I cant find prices to compare anywhere.

I do not remember how much exactly but it was around $2300. Prices when I looked were fairly comparable and we decided on the Jotul primarily on looks and reputation. Got it in Seebrook NH at home and hearth.

Welcome to the forum. For those single pain (pane) windows you might get good results from adding storm windows if the original windows seal closed properly. It cost me about $50 each to buy good quality ones for my late 70s house with single pane windows and it made the single pane window surface much warmer in winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.