Newbie look for advice on damper modification for flexible liner install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaychino415

Jan 31, 2013
san bruno, ca
Hi, I am a newbie looking to get a lopi freedom insert with 6" Stainless steel flexible liner installed. I don't mind doing the dirty work. I have read lots of post that some use torches, hacksaws, sawzall, chisels, pliers, safety glass and respiratory to remove/modify their dampers. How long did it take the dyi-ers to do the own installs?

My 411 in my fireplace damper area: it has a taper to it (see pic) and my chimney has an oval clay liner.
The oval liner is large enough to take a 6" liner with insulation wrapped around it.

I believe my smoke shelf is offset from clay liner not afraid to take down some bricks to make room for liner.

Any tips/comments?

Attachments

• 20130927_212205.jpg
    20130927_212205.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 20130927_211825.jpg
    20130927_211825.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 137
At my BIL's, I didn't have a torch but the Sawzall made pretty short work of it.

Reactions: jaychino415
Yep... I'd keep the torch away from the masonry. Remove damper, then recip saw (saws-all) or angle grinder is the way to go for cutting the frame, as needed.

Smallest dimension on your oval clay would need to be 8" or more, for a blanket-wrapped 6" liner. Offsets make pulling tough, but unless they leave a cross-section below 8", you should be fine.

recip saw (saws-all) or angle grinder is the way to go for cutting the frame
I started with an angle grinder but man it was dusty! Decided to go to the Milwaukee Sawzall. >>

I used a 4.5" angle grinder on mine, was quite easy. Took me less than an hour I'd say. Lots of sparks, but not really that much mess. I don't have carpet, so I wasn't worried about cleaning up soot and ash. A shop vac took care of it quick and easy. I did have to remove a couple of bricks behind the damper, but that was much quicker than cutting through the damper itself. Very messy when the angle grinder starts going into masonry, though. I popped them out with a hammer and chisel.

The hardest part for me was getting the liner to go down into the exhaust port of the insert. I installed the liner weeks before I got the insert. Then I realized the bottom of the liner wouldn't bend enough to let the insert pass below it. I had to get back on the roof and yank and twist the liner to raise it a couple of inches, then move the insert into position, then back on the roof to twist and shove the liner back down into the insert's exhaust. It's dangerous because the liner has sharp edges which would easily slice your hands up. You can duct tape the edges and wear leather gloves.

I used a 4.5" angle grinder on mine, was quite easy. Took me less than an hour I'd say. Lots of sparks, but not really that much mess. I don't have carpet, so I wasn't worried about cleaning up soot and ash. A shop vac took care of it quick and easy. I did have to remove a couple of bricks behind the damper, but that was much quicker than cutting through the damper itself. Very messy when the angle grinder starts going into masonry, though. I popped them out with a hammer and chisel.

The hardest part for me was getting the liner to go down into the exhaust port of the insert. I installed the liner weeks before I got the insert. Then I realized the bottom of the liner wouldn't bend enough to let the insert pass below it. I had to get back on the roof and yank and twist the liner to raise it a couple of inches, then move the insert into position, then back on the roof to twist and shove the liner back down into the insert's exhaust. It's dangerous because the liner has sharp edges which would easily slice your hands up. You can duct tape the edges and wear leather gloves.

Thanks Tom for the tips and advice. I just trying to figure out what I was getting myself into.

Yep... I'd keep the torch away from the masonry. Remove damper, then recip saw (saws-all) or angle grinder is the way to go for cutting the frame, as needed.

Smallest dimension on your oval clay would need to be 8" or more, for a blanket-wrapped 6" liner. Offsets make pulling tough, but unless they leave a cross-section below 8", you should be fine.

Should I get a certain type of sawzall blade to cut the damper with? Thanks, I will definitely measure everything 3 times before I do anything.

Any ferrous metal cutting blade will work. Grab a few, it may take more than one, before you're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.