Newbie lost in stove choices..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

sowers25

Jan 16, 2012
NE West Virginia
I am going to be putting a wood stove in my basement and looking for some general install advice and what stove would fit my needs and aplication the best. I live in a fairly mild climate, temps probably averaging in the mid 20's during middle of winter. I have a 2,000sq ft rancher with a finished basement and looking to heat the basement plus hopefully the main living area upstairs, I have a zone heat system so if it lacks to heat the whole upstairs, no big deal. The chimney is going out and up with a dbl or triple wall and probably a total of 20'. Am i gonna be looking at a potential draft problem and if so would a outside air kit help remedie this? Also I have been checking into alot of different stoves and am dead set on having one with some good burn times, hoping 12hr+ because i don't want to have to be lighting it every day and coming home to a cold house. Thinking about the blaze king either princess or the big daddy, but they are just so ugly. Really like the looks of the harman tl2.6 and the manufacture claims 18 hr burn times but cant find much proof to back it up. I would like to find one with good looks that the glass doesn't soot up terribly, but if i have to settle for the ugly blaze king for the exceptional burn times, then I guess I will. Any thoughts or advice for me would be appreciated...

Have you looked at the woodstock stoves? Those (IMO) look much nicer than the BK, albeit with a shorter burn time.

A lot of great stoves out there, the Englander for cheap and effective, the Travis Industry stoves, the PE stoves, Jotul, SBI stoves along with the new Woodstock stove just to name a few. You're heating from the basement is it 2K up plus 2K down or 1K and 1K? If it's 2K up and 2K down go big or go home.

oakstomper25 said:
Its 2k up and 2k down and how are the realistic burn times out of the stoves mentioned??

That's a big space most stoves are going to have trouble. I hate to say it but 2 stoves would probably work best! How well insulated is the basement? In VA I guess you stand a chance with one big one. :)

If you want a long burn time go with a cat stove . The Blaze King is not the most attractive stove cold but after a long day at work and those coals are still glowing it has a beauty all its own. You might look at the catalytic Dutchwest. Vermont Castings has issues and the Non Cat Dutchwest for most people have been horrible(Not All!) but the Catalytic models have held up pretty well. Most people like the stove they have and others try to have some try to have one of everything. Eh? Webby

There are many good stoves out there as others have said, but I am a little confused as why are you asking about the draft issue ? Different stoves will operate different ways in regards to a chimney set up. 20 feet may work fine as long as you are at least 2 ft over the peak. Then the diameter of the pipe will depend on the stove. I would suggest decide on the stove and then concentrate on the chimney. Pics of the lay out and location of install will also help everyone on here to answer some of your questions.

If you spend the most time in the "main living area", then that's where I'd put the stove. You can always add one in the finished basement later, and use it on an " as needed basis".

Heating 2000 SF is a bit of a pita. Heating 4000 SF with a stove is a pain in the butt. We do it with 2 stoves in a long split ranch. If I had put the stove in the basement, I'd be looking for a rope & a chair.

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm not looking for the stove to take care of ALL my heating needs, primarily just the basement then to supplement the upstairs heating. I am worried about my chimney now because its not built yet and i would rather have the right ideas to prevent a problem therefore there will never be a problem

oakstomper25 said:
I'm not looking for the stove to take care of ALL my heating needs, primarily just the basement then to supplement the upstairs heating. I am worried about my chimney now because its not built yet and i would rather have the right ideas to prevent a problem therefore there will never be a problem

You have virgin territory? Pics, please !!

oakstomper25 said:

I did take that right in your original post. I understood that your chimney was not built yet. I was just trying to say narrow your selection of stoves and then look into the chimney lay out that will give the best performance.

Welcome oakstomper, like you I'm new and trying to learn. Based on what I've learned so far the Blaze Kings are the best (or close to it). But like you I think they're ugly too. Apparently they were first built in 1977, and in my opinion they look exactly like what you would expect to see if you walked into someone's basement during the Carter administration. There are some really beautiful European stoves out there, but they're prohibitively expensive for the American market. Anyway, welcome and good luck with your selection.

Gotcha on the chimney, makes sense. Does anybody know anything about the harman TL 2.6?? And what about the buckstove 91 how are the burn times? Looks like I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on the ugly blaze king, if so should i opt for the somewhat better looking princess or the old man of the line for the size?? Btw my basement is studded out on 8" poured walls insulated and also the floor is insulated. I plan to cut two vents through the floor to help let some heat up in the main upstairs living area and let the heat pump still heat the bedrooms because they are on their own zone.

Check with your local building codes before you cut vents in your floors. They probably will be against code.

If you chose to ignore code, make sure you fully understand the risks you may be taking, and ways that you might be able to mitigate those risks before you cut so that you can make an informed decision.

-SF

oakstomper25 said:
Does anybody know anything about the harman TL 2.6?? And what about the buckstove 91 how are the burn times?

Look at the stove size and type for a guide to burn time. The 18 hours listed for the Harman is doubtful. With a 2.6 cu ft box and downdraft combustion you will likely get 6-12 hours of useful heat (they must be counting burn time to be until the last ember dies). The Buck 91 has a 4+ cu ft box, plus it is catalytic, so with the bigger box and the cat you should get much longer burn times, but maybe not as long as the BK.

oakstomper25 said:
Gotcha on the chimney, makes sense. Does anybody know anything about the harman TL 2.6?? And what about the buckstove 91 how are the burn times? Looks like I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on the ugly blaze king, if so should i opt for the somewhat better looking princess or the old man of the line for the size?? Btw my basement is studded out on 8" poured walls insulated and also the floor is insulated. I plan to cut two vents through the floor to help let some heat up in the main upstairs living area and let the heat pump still heat the bedrooms because they are on their own zone.

Why not the BK Chinook? Approx. the same specs as the Princess.

http://www.blazeking.com/PDF/brochures/en/current/wood/78355_BK_Chinook_Brc.pdf

After hearing some of my replies I'm not sure the Princess would even be big enough I'm leaning more towards the original king, and I don't really like the looks of the chinook that much better. Sounds like about the only stove that will be big enough and get my long burn times is going to be the blaze kings king classic, am I wrong in this, I hope that I am because I would much rather find something cheaper and more catching to the eye....

With the Buck 91 Cat stove I'm getting 12 hour burn times with no trouble in the mid 20's to 50s outside temps. It gets shortened to 8 with truely cold weather but I don't get that much here in NC, maybe 2 or 3 stretches a winter (still waiting for the first one this year). Ask Brother Bart who lives in your neck of the woods and he'll tell you that you are in the 'extended' shoulder season part of the country just like me. I would look for something that performs best in that scenario if it were me and run it for all it's worth in the cold stretches. I have my 91 as an insert but it comes with legs and can be used freestanding as well. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a Buck dealer in your area as they are made locally here.

I have to say, I just stumbled into mine with virtually no research because it was before I found this site and I was just looking for a good deal on a used stove on CL. I knew I wanted one that was EPA certified to replace my old smoke dragon and it had to fit into my fireplace. Got mine for $500 but had a 'motivated' seller as it was sitting in an empty house about to be foreclosed on and he just wanted to get something for it. Sounds like you're looking for a new one however so that's just an aside. You won't get the burn times with it that you will with a BK but I think even bogydave up in Alaska has said he only gets 8-10 hours in the really cold times but our cold times are his shoulder season. :)

...just say'en. If you want those kind of burn times you'll have to go with a catalytic stove.

I would put a blaze king princess downstairs. Then, when you get upset that it's not heating the upstairs, you can move it upstairs and install a new chimney. Then buy an Englander for the basement ;-)

So in retrospect is everyone saying that heat will not rise enough to help heat my upstairs? Keep in mind that I'm not looking for total heat upstairs, I have a 4 year old energy star house, with a 3 zone heating system supplied by a train central heat pump. I have two living rooms, dining, and kitchen all very open on its own zone. Then have 3 bedrooms, the master bedroom is on one end of the house and its a very large room with big walk in closet and full bath which is its own heating zone, the other 2 rooms are on the opposite end of the house with the other bathroom also having its own zone. I am not expecting the downstairs heat to heat these 2 zones, just the main living area upstairs and then even if it heats 75% I would be happy :) Right now I pay $180 a month for electric and would like to cut that number in half. So with all this being said, does anyone have a similar scenario and is it possibe?? Also the 12 hr burn times on the buck stove, is that putting out good heat or just enough embers to get started again?? Thanks for everyones input, its trully appreciated

oakstomper25 said:
So in retrospect is everyone saying that heat will not rise enough to help heat my upstairs? Keep in mind that I'm not looking for total heat upstairs, I have a 4 year old energy star house, with a 3 zone heating system supplied by a train central heat pump. I have two living rooms, dining, and kitchen all very open on its own zone. Then have 3 bedrooms, the master bedroom is on one end of the house and its a very large room with big walk in closet and full bath which is its own heating zone, the other 2 rooms are on the opposite end of the house with the other bathroom also having its own zone. I am not expecting the downstairs heat to heat these 2 zones, just the main living area upstairs and then even if it heats 75% I would be happy :) Right now I pay $180 a month for electric and would like to cut that number in half. So with all this being said, does anyone have a similar scenario and is it possibe?? Also the 12 hr burn times on the buck stove, is that putting out good heat or just enough embers to get started again?? Thanks for everyones input, its trully appreciated

At 10-12 hours it is still putting out usable heat but nothing like the first 8 obviously. At 12 hours there are plenty enough coals left to get splits going in a couple minutes without kindling. If I waited until there were 'just enough embers to get started again' I could quote probably 15-16 hour burn times but that seems silly to me.

There are at least a half dozen or more 91 users here and maybe they'll chime in. I'm always interested in hearing from them anyway since I only have about 6 months of experience with this beast.

oakstomper25 said:

I think everyone is saying that once you start, you can't stop and you'll be nuts like the rest of us heating 24/7 :lol:

It's very possible you'll see some benefit upstairs. I think member todd is heating a similar sized house from his basement most of the time with a Keystone, and fires up the second one upstairs, as needed. And he's been through a lot of stoves :bug:. Won't know until you try. Put what you want to down there. If it doesn't do the job, you can always add one upstairs, if you think it's for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.