newbie may have screwed up, help please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doughboy5

Sep 19, 2008
L.I. ny
o.k. here goes,I'm finished installing my stove.We bought a Drolet legend woodstove.It has a 1.7 sq. foot box and sits on legs 10'' off the hearth,with a required rating of 1r for hearth.The hearth is constructed of 1- 1/2'' micore,1- 1/2'' durorock,versabond 1/4'' notch and 1/4'' slate tiles.The thing I'm concerned about is the fact that I screwed into the 3/4'' subfloor with durorock screws with a 5'' layout.(I removed 3/4'' finished floor and solid blocked and tecoed under the point loads)Are the screws gonna heat the subfloor and burn my house down?Am I ripping up the tile and removing the screws? Is my wife gonna kill me?Am I going to kill myself after 8 weekends of renovation.stove will run 24/7 if it's able.Please advise.

Not to worry, you are fine. The heat will be quite diffused by the tile before it heats the screws. And the hearth likely not get burning hot under the stove.

That is an interesting point - I always just assumed people were nailing the board down as standard procedure. Though 'technically' the screw wouldn't be a R1 inslation. I think you're going to be fine. The heat transfer through one single screw isn't that great and there isn't another screw for 5" in any direction. I'm sure others will chime in.

You'll be fine, don't let it make you crazy.

Relax, build a fire, have a glass of wine, enjoy. Rick

This was discussed in a thread about a week ago. Don't lose any sleep over it. If you really want to monitor things, leave a thermometer under the stove when burning and check it periodically. Is it possible to check the floor from underneath (like from the basement or crawl space) to see how hot things are getting after a long burn?

I agree with the other posters, the size of a screw head is 3/8 inch, the shank is an 1/8 inch. The screw head is covered by a 1/4 inch of thinset and then 1/4 inch of slate. The shank goes through the durock, and then the micore and finally into the wood. The temperature of thank shank is greatly reduced by the time it gets to the wood.

I would think that the additive in the thinset would start to off gas and give you funny odors way before (early warning) the possibility of a screw conducting enough heat to combust the wood subfloor.

I wonder what temperature would be necessary to even come close to this being a problem? I have some scrap pieces of tile, pieces of micore, and some scrap durock laying around. Seems like an experiment with a propane torch is in the future... KD

Status
Not open for further replies.