NEWBIE Mistake...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vanhoesenj

Oct 18, 2006
Okay, not new to wood burning per se, just new to being the one in charge of the stove. :)

I posted a few days ago that my stove was eathing through wood faster than other stoves I've had in the past... I was contemplating a rebuild... Guess what I found tonight after putting a 500 watt halogen lamp in the stove? On the back of my VC Vigilant there are 4 holes tapped for the back heat shield. I over engineered the hearth/distances/and non combustible wall, so I hadn't put the shield on yet.... Yup, you guess it, 4 holes of light shining on the back of my wall!!!

I couldn't believe it... put the shield on and listen to her roar, I didn't think it could make that much of a difference, but apparently so! I felt like you all should have a good laugh at my foibles... :)

cheers
J~

WOW. but very cool to know you found it.

Chalk one up for forum members dispensing good advice the old light test

Status
Not open for further replies.